Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Garry13
Punch Card
Views: 5,653
Message 1 of 11

E580 Boot Sequence

My E580 has a 128gb M.2 Windows Drive and I have put in a 2.5" 500gb SSD into the spare drive slot.  I want to use the 500gb drive as the boot and windows drive - basically the main drive.

I have cloned the 128gb drive across to the 500gb drive and now need to change the boot sequence and later swap the drive letters around.

I have gone the bios to the boot menu (F12) - is a lot more basic than other computers I have used.  However I do not seem to be able to change the boot sequence?  I can highlight the new drive but not move it to the top of the sequence or save the highlighted 500gb disk drive (highlighted in the pic).

So how do I change the bios (boot sequence)  so that the computer boots from the Intel 500gb drive highlighted rather than the OEM Toshiba 128gb drive?

Thanks

Garry

PS - to try and force the issue I took the M.2 drive out hoping that on the boot sequence it might boot frpm the 500gb drive but the laptop did not like that at all and would not get "I have a major fault and repairs are needed" page = works OK with the drive back in.

IMG_20180906_004458 -2.jpg

Highlighted
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 5,632
Message 2 of 11

Re: E580 Boot Sequence

At the screen you show above, TAB to the App Menu page, select Setup (takes you to BIOS config) then the Startup tab.  At the top there's a ">Boot" thing that will bring up the actual boot configuration.  Follow the right-side instructions to move your new drive to the top.

I suspect that you'll see the same "repairs" message once you do that.  Something's not quite right with your clone op.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Garry13
Punch Card
Views: 5,613
Message 3 of 11

Thanks for that response = I have gone into the bios section but cannot seem to change the boot order - as before I have highlighted the preferrred boot item but I am not sure it works.  I even set boot to a non existant CD drive bit the system booted Ok - so I guess it is still booting from the M.2 drive but I want it to boot from the 500gb drive.

As you can see in the pic I have selected the Intel 500gb SSD as the boot device (the M.2 SSD is above it)- I then save and exit but the laptop still boots from the M.2 SSD.

IMG_20180906_151410 -2.jpg

I have no problems selecting boot preferences in my HP and Toshiba laptops but this bios is just so clunky and cumbersome.

Does anyone have a link to the bios handbook?

Thanks

Garry

Lenovo Employee Rydeen
Lenovo Employee
Views: 5,593
Message 4 of 11

Dear customer,

you are still in the wrong BIOS Setup page.

Please select "Boot" at top of the "Startup" page and press Enter to go into "Boot" sub-page.

Then, you can change the Boot Priority Order there.

Garry13
Punch Card
Views: 5,587
Message 5 of 11

Thankyou so much - silly me thought "Boot"as just a heading not a menu.

Next question - as I have indicated I have coped across the Windows M.2 SSD C: drive to my 500gbSSD DSmiley Very Happyrive.  Using the information you gave me I am able to boot my computer from either SSD - have deleted one drive then the other in the bios and booted from each however I not totally convinced I am booting from D drive when it is selected as the Boot Drive - when booted from D drive tried deleting selected files from Windows in CSmiley Very Happyrive - ones I could put back and it did not allow me as the message came up that they were in use so I assume I was actually in CSmiley Very Happyive but not sure.  So the actual question is - how do I know which drive is running Windows - is there something that will tell me?

Next question - if ultimately I can get my new D drive to boot Windows - how do I format the old CSmiley Very Happyrive as at the moment any tinkering is blocked - I know how the format system works through Disk Manager but the operation is blocked.

Next Question - if I stuff it all up - how do I reinstall windows without a product key - my laptop came preinstalled with no product key and no product key is visible in the relavant area of "systems" - just XXXXXXXX etc.

I have some more questions but I will save them for later.

I appreciate your assistance :-)

Thanks

Garry

Garry13
Punch Card
Views: 5,562
Message 6 of 11

Ok - thanks to all the responses I am now just about sorted.

Still this question though.

If I did not have a boot USB, how do I reinstall windows without a product key - my laptop came preinstalled with no product key and no product key is visible on the computer case or in the relavant area of "systems" - just XXXXXXXX etc.

Thanks

Garry

Lenovo Employee Rydeen
Lenovo Employee
Views: 5,543
Message 7 of 11

Dear customer,

you can get the recovery media at below URL ( you need to sign in by Lenovo ID ) which doesn't require additional product key information.

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/lenovorecovery?linkTrack=Body:Box:RecoveryMedia|Coupon

Garry13
Punch Card
Views: 5,519
Message 8 of 11

Well that does not work - managed to download the software etc but would not write to the USB - says there is an issue when half way writing to the USB (for some reason this laptop keeps changing the USB drive NFTS file system to Fat 32 halfway during the write). T- tried it with 4 different USB sticks.  I tried to start the process over again but will not let me - I guess I need to apply for a new download.

Does not need to be this hard - never had these issues with other brand computers.

And now when I apply again the system says i have already had a download for this computer and cannot have  another one.

SO how do I make a recovery system for this laptop if i cannot do it through the Lenovo system.

Garry13
Punch Card
Views: 5,510
Message 9 of 11

Created recovery media through the Windows system - works - less mucking around than the Lenovo system.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 5,503
Message 10 of 11

Glad you found something that works.

No idea why the digital download was failing.  I've used it multiple times.

Re "...for some reason this laptop keeps changing the USB drive NFTS file system to Fat 32 halfway during the write..." FAT32 is the filesystem for UEFI-bootable media.  Some BIOSen may recognize NTFS but most won't, so what you see is what's intended.  I can't say that starting with FAT32 would have made a difference, but maybe...

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors