Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
h00ki
Not applicable
Views: 237
Message 1 of 6

E590 - Dedicated graphics draining power and there is no way how to stop it

Hi,

sorry for the silly topic name, but it describes my problem perfectly. My problem is that (allegedly) my RX550 is draining over 4Watts even when it is not utilized at all. I tried drivers from Lenevo then directly from AMD and it seems that the problem still remains. I usually don't need dedicated GPU, so I tried to disable it, but the option in BIOS to disable dedicated graphics is not there. I looked up images of where it is supposed to be, but in my case it's just missing. Even before trying disabling it in BIOS, I went to Power Options and maximized battery life everywhere it seemed to have something with GPU. Nothing helped. 

Rather than solving the problem through Power Options, I would like to know why my E590 has no option in BIOS to disable dedicated GPU?

You can see in the screen below, where I get my information about power drain. Output is from HWMonitor and the value changes, so it is definitely getting that value from somewhere.

rx550.jpg

Highlighted
Jwes_Lenovo
Not applicable
Views: 192
Message 2 of 6

Re: E590 - Dedicated graphics draining power and there is no way how to stop it

Hi H00ki! Welcome to our forums community. Unfortunately, this model is a hybrid model that doesn't have that feature unlike with the other model variants. What we suggest is for you to disable it from the device manager.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

h00ki
Not applicable
Views: 169
Message 3 of 6

Thank you for your reply. By "other model variants", you mean other model series like "T" for example? And is it a hardware or just software (BIOS) feature? Thanks.

Jwes_Lenovo
Not applicable
Views: 159
Message 4 of 6

It's the same model but different variant like the Thinkpad E540 that has the feature to disable it in BIOS. Please refer to the photo below. What I meant was it is a hardware limitation of the model Thinkpad E590.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

h00ki
Not applicable
Views: 123
Message 5 of 6

Sadly, disabling dedicated graphics in device manager removed info from HWMonitor, which is expected, but the fan in the laptop kept spinning and idle teperatures were higher than normal (even though fan was spinning most of the time.) I guess that the disabled device (RX550) was somehow in a state when it was draining even more power than in the "not being used" state. This didn't help the fact that CPU and GPU are on the same heatpipe. Could this be a bug to report?

matt_lenovo
Not applicable
Views: 95
Message 6 of 6

Hi h00ki! For models with discrete thermal pipes, they have the same heatpipe. Please see page 67 of the hardware maintenance manual: https://lnv.gy/2x7LcGs 

The laptop's graphics card is hybrid, it means that it will switch automatically from integrated to dedicated to integrated depends on the demand of the program or apps you are using. 

Regards,

Matt_lenovo

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors