Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BJKavanagh
Paper Tape
Views: 3,501
Message 1 of 7

Edge 15 X301 battery will not charge

Browsing the forums this seems to be a pretty common issue.  I hope to find some help here because I am personally really tired/frustrated a recent  Lenove service experience but that's another story and I'm here to try and solve a battery problem without spending one more dime on this laptop I'm seriously regretting purchasing.

Issue: My battery discharges (down to 38%) but will not charge.  Status, like in the myriad of other posts about this topic, is "plugged in, not charging".  Power manager says battery is in good condition and there is no obvious reason I can telI.  My system tells me I have the latest firmware (0002-0004-4216-00c0) and software (Power Manager v6.32).  This just started happening a couple days ago.  I called Warrenty help and they told me they couldn't help me because I was out of warrenty - their advice was download all the latest and greatest software and good luck.  "We can refer you to service centers in case this is a hardware problem...........................".

As I stated earlier, I am done with putting any more money into this laptop and if this ends up being a hardware issue (no obvious signs of any damage present whatsoever) I'm likely going to put this lemon up on ebay and hope to make $100 and walk away from Lenovo all together.  Just has been a terrible experience.  

Any help would be appreciated.  

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 3,499
Message 2 of 7

Re: Edge 15 X301 battery will not charge

welcome to the community.

did you update to pm v6.32 recently? and, best you can tell, do you think the battery failing to charge coincides with an update to pm? any other notable updates to the machine recently, like bios, possibly?

if you think this might be tied to a pm update, you can try to uninstall v6.32 and install an earlier version. have a look at this post: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-Edge/THINKPAD-EDGE-15-Battery-Power-manager-6-32/td-p/787235

there is a link provided by someotherguy that points to earlier versions of pm. the OP in that thread felt that v6.07 allowed battery charging correctly.

hth.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee.

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 3,491
Message 3 of 7

so you are having the same battery charging issue on the Edge 15 and ThinkPad X301?
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
BJKavanagh
Paper Tape
Views: 3,441
Message 4 of 7

When I got the laptop back from Lenovo there was a massive slug of required updates....i'm not sure if one of them was the BIOS.  Seems like there has been a steady stream of updates since I got it back.  

Going back to v6.07 did not work, as I read in a similar post.  I'm guessing this is a hardware problem ? Sadly, I will not be putting any more money into this laptop (which only lasted me 9 months w/o significant issue).  Very sad, as my last IBM ThinkPad lasted me 7 years and I really never had any problems with it.

kevinh
What's DOS?
Views: 3,447
Message 5 of 7

I have the same problem on TWO edge 15 laptops. Periodically the battery stops charging an the only way out is to turn it off, remove the battery and then press & hold the power button for 30s or so. Plug the battery back in, power cable and power up and it works fine - for a few days/weeks. Then round we go again.

everything is up to dateand I am running pw6.32. I think the problem started wiht the last bios BUT cannot be sure.

Come on Lenova fix this problem.

BJKavanagh
Paper Tape
Views: 3,376
Message 6 of 7

Well I'll be Dam_ed.  Followed your procedure and it worked first time around.  I'll wait till tomorrow to complain - i'm too excited at the moment.  Kinda bush league Lenovo...

john762
What's DOS?
Views: 2,935
Message 7 of 7

Thank you for your fix worked fine until I opened power management 6.32 then charging crashed again

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors