Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: 11e (Windows), 13, E and Edge series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

45 Posts

08-21-2010

Finland

45 Signins

165 Page Views

• Views: 165
  • Message 1 of 1

Edge E530, 2nd hard drive (caddy) turning off all the time...

2015-05-15, 1:42 AM

Hi. I have Lenovo Thinkpad Edge E530 (i7-3632qm I think it was) from September 2012.

I installed hard drive caddy/bay in place of the DVD-ROM drive 1-2 years ago. I have lately noticed that the harddrive turns off very often. I has done this before, maybe from day one but I always thought that it is mean to do that (power saving).

Now that for the first time I use the harddrive actively (with Sample Libraries when doing music) I started to notice that it really is a problem. There are constant delays when the harddrive has turned off while I do something and when I load the next sample it first needs to turn back on.

I suspect (I hope I am wrong) that it is a BIOS hardcoded feature as BIOS maybe thinks that there is a DVD-drive connected, which would be the normal use case. The caddy which I am using was meant for Thinkpad T-series, but I removed a part from the edge so it went nicely inside E530. I also had to disconnect one pin (by cutting the soldering) from the caddy, because otherwise the machine would not even boot (I think it was boot loop, BSOD or something, I dont remember.

I am on Win7. I did a clean install and installed only the most neccessary drivers (no lenovo bloatware). When the harddrive is in use it works fine. E.g. I just transferred 23GB file from my other computer via LAN and during writing this file the hard drive does not power off. It seems to do this only when it thinks it is not needed.

I have set from Win7 power options "turn hard disk after" to "never", so Win7 power management should not turn it off. Other specs. Primary drive is Samsung 830 256GB SSD. Then there is the 16GB msata, which was factory installed. And now I have also 16GB of RAM. The HD is 1TB Western Digital HD, 5400rppm, model WD10JPVT-08A1YT1. BIOS is latest version (2.55)

Here are my theories what it could be.

1. Lenovo Power Management (either BIOS or Lenovo PM Device in Device Manager) assumes that the HD is DVD-drive turns off the hard drive when it thinks it is not needed.

2. The harddrive consumes more power than the DVD-drive connector can give to it, which causes it to turn off. This seems unlikely as it would turn off during file transfers (which it does not do).

3. The hard drive caddy is not suitable for this machine which causes HD turning off unneccessarily.

Any suggestions how I could repair this problem...?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms