Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
berndbausch
Fanfold Paper
Views: 388
Message 1 of 4

Edge E540 - Graphics driver update fails

I have a Thinkpad Edge E540. After reinstalling Windows 10, I am scanning it for driver updates. The Intel Graphics HD driver is among the list, version 20.19.15.4416.

I tried twice updating it using Automatic Driver Update, but this fails. An exclamation mark is next to that driver.

Clicking on the driver name, an executable file is downloaded. When I run it, driver installation starts, then fails with the note that a newer driver is already installed. Here is a screenshot of this note:

image.png

At this point I prefer to click No.

Am I supposed to install the (older) driver from the Lenovo web site, or should I leave my driver as it is?

Mod's Edit: System model added to the front of Subject line to improve visibility / clarity and moved post to the correct forum.

Highlighted
alii98
Paper Tape
Views: 325
Message 2 of 4

Re: E540 - Graphics driver update fails

Hi,do this :

1.Update through windows update and device manager

2.Done,latest driver 

Mod's Edit: System model added to the front of Subject line to improve visibility / clarity.

berndbausch
Fanfold Paper
Views: 169
Message 3 of 4

black screen, graphics driver update fails

This is a Thinkpad E540 running Windows 10. I use both the laptop screen and an external HDMI monitor.

Coming back to the desk after I started a lengthy activity, I found that the laptop screen was black. Windows device manager only detects a single "generic PnP monitor". Lenovo's driver update includes an optional graphics driver update, but it fails. When rebooting, I see nothing on the screen, not even BIOS messages.

So, this looks like a hardware failure, but is there a possibility this can be caused by a software setting? Even if this is the hardware, I wonder if I can do something about it. Does the driver update provide details about the failure? Is there a diagnostic program that checks the hardware? Are there other measures I can take?

EDIT: I ran the diagnostics utility from the Lenovo Support web site. It ignores the laptop's display as if it didn't exist. I would have expected errors, at least. The external display is recognized and checked.

EDIT2: When booting, BIOS messages are displayed on the HDMI monitor. The BIOS dialogs allow me to specify the display. There are three options: Thinkpad LCD, HDMI and VGA. Although Thinkpad LCD is selected, output invariably goes to the HDMI port.

berndbausch
Fanfold Paper
Views: 99
Message 4 of 4

Re: black screen, graphics driver update fails

Somebody moved the post from March 2019 to my thread from 2018. The two have nothing to do with each other. In 2018 I had problems updating the graphics driver. In 2019, my laptop screen is black. It never shows anything, not even BIOS messages. I hope you understand that these two issues are not the same.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors