cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
emtdan
Paper Tape
Views: 1,055
Message 1 of 7

Fan Stops running on Thinkpad Edge 14. Restart required.

My fan stops working nearly once a day and I have to restart to make it work again. Any ideas?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,033
Message 2 of 7

Re: Fan Stops running on Thinkpad Edge 14. Restart required.

http://www.staff.uni-marburg.de/~schmitzr/donate.html

Are you getting any errors when it does this?  How long have you had your Edge?  On the bottom of your laptop, there should be a complete Model number.  Could you post that?   Does the fan sound normal?  

Tpfancontrol has always been the standard fan control for thinkpads.  Scroll down to the bottom and you'll see the download for it.  Check out the screenshot above it. That's the interface.  I use it on every thinkpad I ever had.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
emtdan
Paper Tape
Views: 1,021
Message 3 of 7

Fan sounds normal. Model 0578. 3-4 months old.  I do use tpfancontrol now because the fan stops but I never had this problem before I had my bios replaced at the factory.  Could it be another bios bug or is the fan not controlled by the bios?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,014
Message 4 of 7

Yes, the fan is controlled by the bios.  Does it still stop when using tpfancontrol?  Do you know offhand what version of the bios you have?

PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
emtdan
Paper Tape
Views: 1,006
Message 5 of 7

Hi - thanks for getting back to me.

I had the January bios until late February - I don't recall having a problem with the fan then.  I sent my computer out to get fixed (motherboard replaced) and have had this issue since. I updated to the newest bios - March and had the same issue.  So I went back to the old January one and still had the problem.  The fan does work with tpfancontrol. I have to force start it.

It is very strange though.  The fan is working as I type this on its own. But in a few hours it will stop and I will have to restart or start up tpfancontrol. 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,002
Message 6 of 7

To try to rule out certain things, how about the next time you start this machine, open tpfancontrol and open the interface and set it to smart.  Let it run on the fan control the whole time and see if the fan shuts off and won't start back up. How tpfancontrol works is if your machine gets too hot, the fan control hands off the control to the bios.

It looks like there have been 3 or 4 bios made for your machine, but it doesn't look like you can download any of the earlier ones.  Just the last 2, which you have tried.  It is a  strange problem, not one that I've seen yet.  

When you have to force start it with the fan control, are you starting it by using the manual control?

Run it on smart and post back. Let me know whether it works okay on smart control or not. 

emtdan
Paper Tape
Views: 996
Message 7 of 7

When the fan shuts off on its own I start up tpfancontrol and the fan starts back up.  I'll let you know how it goes.  After the rounds of updates I neglected for a month my fan has lasted 18 hours so far.  Will wait to see what tomorrow brings!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors