cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
seaders
Punch Card
Views: 1,515
Message 1 of 6

Faulty Edge 15? (Flickering screen and stall, grind and beep sound)

So I got an Edge 15 in June and was fairly happy with it.  Unfortunately I started having some random problems with it recently.  First thing that happened was that the screen, every now and again will just start to flicker.  It's as if the screen brightness setting is being chosen randomly every few miliseconds.  This will continue until I restart or similar, putting it to sleep and waking it back up also solves it.  I've tried recording this, but my camera doesn't really pick up the flicker at all.  The other problem that I have is that every few minutes, the machine will lock up for a few seconds, then a mechanical grind happens, then a mechanical beep.  It happens quite regularly, so I was able to get this one, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zES_PZGWTc

I don't find either of these issues acceptable in a pretty much brand new laptop, so am very disappointed.  What would you think, do I have a faulty model?  My machine is obviously still under warranty and if there is an issue, I'd much prefer just to send it back, or whatever, because I don't want a faulty machine in a few months and it all be on my head!

If I do go the warranty route, could people direct me as to where I'd start the process?  I checked the main Lenovo site, but they led me to the ESC+ system which is only available in the States, I bought the laptop and live in Ireland, so obviously that's not applicable for me.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,481
Message 2 of 6

Re: Faulty Edge 15? (Flickering screen and stall, grind and beep sound)

i watched your movie and it seemed that when it made that noise the laptop was being moved. is that true?  if so, that could be active protection parking the hard drive head and then starting back up.  it might just be set too sensitive.  that will cause locking up, lags in movies, screen freezes, all sorts of performance issues.  if your machine has an ambient light sensor, you might want to disable it and see if the display still does it's dimming and brightening.  if so, then it could be in conflict with your power settings.  i'm not saying that you don't have a hardware problem, it's just that you might want to experiment a little, it might just be software settings.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
seaders
Punch Card
Views: 1,461
Message 3 of 6

I don't *think* that's true, no, but I'll make sure tonight.  I'm near certain I disabled the active protection as it irritated the crap outta me, but that's not to say I forgot something or it got re-enabled along the way!

I will check that, along with the light sensor tonight and report back, really appreciate the reply topmahof.

seaders
Punch Card
Views: 1,437
Message 4 of 6

Hmmm, I'm really not sure, but I can't get it to now reproduce either error.  Although I thought I was up to date, I had fallen behind with a few drivers and updated my bios and graphics, which seem, for the moment to have done the trick.  Fingers crossed!

seaders
Punch Card
Views: 1,412
Message 5 of 6

Ok the beep isn't to do with the Active Protection system, it's totally disabled, yet the beep still occurs.  I don't like hardware beeps like that at all, so am seriously thinking about getting onto Lenovo proper about sending it back while it's still under warranty.  Any more suggestions before I do that?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,400
Message 6 of 6

yeh, it doesn't sound right. like maybe a hard drive going out or something.  you're probably right, i would call service.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors