Highlighted
gregzem
What's DOS?
Views: 9,790
Message 1 of 9

Fn + Fx remapping

Hi,

I've been using Edge 13 for a while and quite happy with it except one thing:

F1..F11 and multimedia keys like Mute/Volume Up/Volume down/... are switched. I frequently use F1..F11 keys but now I have to press Fn+F1..Fn+F11.

Does anybody know how to remap these keys in old-style? Like using F1..F11 without Fn key?

I tried KeyTweaker but it doesn't understand scan code of F4..F12. So I could remap only F1..F3.

Thanks

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 9,761
Message 2 of 9

Re: Fn + Fx remapping

Welcome to the forums!

Did you obtain any hotkey drivers with your system?re-installing them might help

gregzem
What's DOS?
Views: 9,744
Message 3 of 9

Not sure I understand what you meant. I've just bought new laptop with preinstalled os.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 9,732
Message 4 of 9

Hi gregzem, and welcome to the Lenovo User Community!

In the BIOS (press F1 at the ThinkPad logo when the system is starting) you can change the default behavior of the Fn keys.

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
gregzem
What's DOS?
Views: 9,700
Message 5 of 9

Thank you very much. You made me happy.

formaserve
What's DOS?
Views: 8,947
Message 6 of 9

thats for that bananaman.

I was having trouble with the PgUp/PgDwn & arrow keys in an IBM 5250 emulation package.  Your suggestion of changing the keys in the Fn keys in the BIOS also fixed my problem.

Thanks for your help

Vinny.

tcj
Punch Card
Views: 8,793
Message 7 of 9

Bananaman - I am having the exact opposite problem of gregsem.  I am currently using an HP DM series laptop that has the F keys set to function as Fn keys.   Using this set up for years, I have become spoiled with easy one key operation for dimming/brightening my screen (which I do VERY often), locking computer, etc.  So now, with the anticipation of my new x201 (which is  being shipped now), I desperately would like to know if I can do the opposite with the x201... that is change the F keys so that they inherently function as Fn keys and that you would need to depress the Fn key in order to access F functions.  

I'm hoping this option is available on the x201 BIOS as well?  Thanks in advance for any help!

Threk
Paper Tape
Views: 7,483
Message 8 of 9

I just got an Edge E525 and couldn't believe that function keys had been combined with multimedia keys. At least this BIOS setting lets me get at the function keys quicker.

However now every time I use the multimedia keys a Popup titled "Thinkpad Keyboard Properties" asks me if I want to change back to the default setting. No I do not want to change back, but I'm getting sick and tired of closing this window over and over and over and over and over and over and over. How do you make it go away forever?

Bauden
Token Ring
Views: 79
Message 9 of 9

Unfortunately, even when entering in the BIOS, it keeps reverting to the workstation useless (for me) multimedia keys.

FWIW, this is proof that the W540 is NOT a workstation, but some high priced surfing toy.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors