Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JussiA
Blue Screen Again
Views: 14,819
Message 1 of 35

High Battery Drain When Powered Off

Hi! My 2-month old Lenovo ThinkPad E480 has started losing 40% battery overnight. I start with 100% battery and use "Shut down" in Windows so I would expect no battery drain. But in the morning the system reports 60 % battery. I do not believe this happened in the beginning, so this may be due to a recent BIOS update from Lenovo or possibly a Windows update. I have the up-to-date Windows 10 Pro as of today and I have used Lenovo Vantage to update everything, including BIOS and all drivers.

I have already tried the solutions reported in other forum posts, but they did not help:

- Disabled Windows fast startup

- Disabled "Always On USB" (it is Off)

- There are no devices connected to any of the ports during nighttime when the battery drain occurs. (I have keyboard and mouse and a webcam connected to a Levono USB C-Dock, I shutdown the laptop, and then disconnect the laptop from the dock. The battery drain occurs while disconnected from the dock.)

I also tested disconnecting the battery from BIOS. The system was then off for 3,5 days and experienced no battery drain from 100%, so this seems to be a software issue.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 14,676
Message 2 of 35
Moved:

Re: High Battery Drain When Powered Off

Glorfindel
Punch Card
Views: 14,685
Message 3 of 35

I just came here to check if someone else noticed this. In my case the laptop is an E580, but it doesn't matter, given that this is internally identical to E480.

In addition to what the OP did, I also disabled Wake On Lan for WLAN and LAN from windows and from the BIOS and also disabled Windows 10 Fast Startup, with no result (i.e. battery drains when the laptop is ppwered off).

I have BIOS 1.14 and IME firmware 11.8. All the drivers (except the one for the webcam) are the last vesion from the corresponding Lenovo support page.

Hope someone from lenovo can shed a bit of light on this issue.

nelloug
What's DOS?
Views: 14,570
Message 4 of 35

I have the same issue on my e580; Do you have done a clean windows installation? I mounted a m2 intel ssd

JussiA
Blue Screen Again
Views: 14,513
Message 5 of 35

BIOS seems be affecting this issue. I reported the original drain with the latest BIOS version 1.14.

I tried downgrading BIOS to version 1.13 and the battery drain is now significantly smaller, from 100 % to about 93 % overnight. I kept everything else the same, including all settings and drivers.

Therefore I believe this battery drain is a BIOS issue. Lenovo, please help!

Based on above investigation, I believe reinstalling Windows from scratch would not solve the issue. The laptop and Windows installation is anyway only 2 months old.

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 14,481
Message 6 of 35

Hi All,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.  Engineers have looked into the issue and expect to be releasing a new BIOS to address it in the next 2 - 3 weeks.

Andy

English Community Leader
Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points 
Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star below their post awarding them Kudos

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

Glorfindel
Punch Card
Views: 14,474
Message 7 of 35

@Andy_Lenovo wrote:

Hi All,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.  Engineers have looked into the issue and expect to be releasing a new BIOS to address it in the next 2 - 3 weeks.

Thanks a lot, Andy! Great support! Just one request: it would be great if you could also bring to your engineers' attention the issue describe in a differet thread: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-11e-Windows-13-E-and/E580-Fan-running-more-often-since-updatin...

In short, with BIOS 1.14 and Intel IME firmware 11.8 the fan on E580 (and I guess on E480) spins up much more frequently after installing said IME firmware update. For example, IIRC before the update the fan didn't spin up when watching a FHD video on Youtube, while now it spins up almost instantly.

Thanks a lot for yor attention and have a nie day and a nice weekend!

sermed
Paper Tape
Views: 14,456
Message 8 of 35

I purchased my e480 in january and the battery was never drain during shutdown even for three days. anyhow last month after updating the bios i noticed the battery discharging arround 7% overnight with shutdown and power switch off. i tried shutdown the laptop and keep the power switch on and i noticed the battery didnot drain, I am disabeling battery charging through vintage power mamangent. looks the new bios doesnt turn off everything inside the laptop. somthing continue consume power even when system is shutdown.  

JussiA
Blue Screen Again
Views: 14,446
Message 9 of 35

Thank you very much Andy! I look forward to the BIOS update.

nelloug
What's DOS?
Views: 14,427
Message 10 of 35

Me and my friend bought together a E580. We have the same issue,(17% battery drain when off per day) and this is a quite big problem during travels considering that also the E580 autonomy is under our expectations;
I can also endorse user that told that the fan seems to be on too often ;
We wait strongly for this update, and also other updates regarding battery life improvements would be highly appreciated;
Thank you

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors