Did you mean: 
yotama9
Paper Tape
Views: 2,467
Message 21 of 68

Re: Hotkeys no longer working - ThinkPad Edge 14, Windows 7

Hi. 

@JameZ

No program. I'm running both Ubuntu and windows on the same machine and both have this problem. This is clearly a BIOS/hardware problem. In linux, when I try to create a new shortcut, the machine doesn't even know I have pressed the keyboard. 

I think, but I'm not sure, that this is happened when I connected an external keyboard via an universal docking station. 

Yotam

Former Employee
Views: 2,463
Message 22 of 68

@Yotam,

Erm ... how are you using the hotkeys when you are connecting it via External keyboard?

Does the hotkeys work on the laptop keyboard itself?

Also take note that there is no need to hold FN when pressing the hotkeys.

//JameZ
yotama9
Paper Tape
Views: 2,457
Message 23 of 68

@JameZ

I am not using the hotkeys on the external keyboard. I'm only thinking that the hotkeys stoped responding only after I pluged it (I don't know for sure). Saying that, it should be clear that the hotkey don't work at all, even when the external keyboard is not connected.

I know I don't need to press the Fn keys it is noted everywhere in the reviews of this model. 

Thanks

yotama9
Paper Tape
Views: 2,425
Message 24 of 68

That's weird. 

After reading in Ubuntu forums, I have switcehd off the machine, unpluged the power supply and disconnected the battery. I waited for some time (the post sais 30 secs) and pluged it again. I then restored the BIOS setting to default and now things are wroking fine...

rCX12
Punch Card
Views: 2,392
Message 25 of 68

I've had the same problem in the past.  Updating the bios solved the issue.

emtdan
Paper Tape
Views: 2,361
Message 26 of 68

Hi all:

I just got off the phone with lenovo support.  They replaced the entire motherboard 1 week ago after having the hotkey issue for two months.  Today they stopped working again.  First the technician tried to blame it on linux but then I told him to come to their own forum to see others were having the issue and suddenly he changed the subject.

I reinstalled the hotkey utility to no avail, however lenovo just came out with a new bios on March 7 that updates the "mute key".  So far the hot keys are working again after that upgrade.  If they fail again it will be another motherboard and more of their money spent.

Keep an eye around this thread as it seems a civil lawsuit may be the only tactic to return our laptops and resolve this issue.

emtdan
Paper Tape
Views: 2,357
Message 27 of 68

As an addendum:

For those of you who have already filed a report with lenovo please post your Case Number.  Hopefully pooling the cases and "coincidences" together can assist Lenovo.

Former Employee
Views: 2,340
Message 28 of 68

@emtdan,

I've posted several questions in page 2 however only yotama9 and another customer reverted.

Appreciate if you could provide me with the following so I may request engineering to check the board which you have replaced previously and to log a case to them.

Please send following via PM.

Name:
Mobile:
Email:
MTM:
S/N:
Previous case ID:

Machine info
BIOS:
OS Lenovo Preload?:
Power Manager:
Power Managerment:
Ram:
Power Manager profile:

//JameZ
Highlighted
emtdan
Paper Tape
Views: 2,326
Message 29 of 68

I appreciate your response and interest in the issue, however, I am uncomfortable sending such personal information.  Unfortunately, I believe any good intentions you have will be disregarded by the technology department anyway.  If continuous replacements of $100 motherboards does not initiate interest in this issue, forwarding information from those of us on this board to the tech department will fail to come to fruition. If my repeated requests, and letter included in my laptop shipment, asking to research this issue have gone unentertained it is ultimately Lenovo's quandry.  When I ship my laptop back for a second time I will include the case number reported on this board to further my efforts in assisting Lenovo.  I will be astounded if two motherboard replacements do not initiate interest in this issue.

helleste
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,231
Message 30 of 68

Today it happened again. With the newest version of BIOS from 7.3.2011...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors