Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Employee
Views: 1,507
Message 31 of 68

Re: Hotkeys no longer working - ThinkPad Edge 14, Windows 7

@helleste,

Did you fix it previously via updating the same BIOS again?

//JameZ
helleste
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,504
Message 32 of 68

I always fixed it via updating to newer version of BIOS. This usually helps for 3 or 4 weeks. I don't know how to update  BIOS by the same version. I tried this via bootable CD and I receive message something like "You have the newest version of BIOS. Update is not necessary. Exit". Same message showed up via Windows 7 BIOS update utility...I am pretty sure that update BIOS by the same version will help but i have no idea how to do this.

May i hope that Lenovo will deliver a permanent solution for this issue?

Thanks for your help.

helleste

Former Employee
Views: 1,499
Message 33 of 68

@helleste,

Appreciate if you could PM me the following since no one wanted to previously therefore this case has not been raised to engineering.

Please send following via PM.

Name:
Mobile:
Email:
MTM:
S/N:
Previous case ID:

Machine info
BIOS:
OS Lenovo Preload?:
Power Manager:
Power Managerment:
Ram:
Power Manager profile:

//JameZ
boy2nr
What's DOS?
Views: 1,444
Message 34 of 68

hi everyone. i just had the same problem but i found a SOLUTION to fix it. i hope it's permament but i've been reading the problem returns. all you need to do is either upgrade to the latest bios if you dont have it, or, if thats not the case you need to downgrade the bios (you will find older versions on you laptop model support page) and then reinstall the latest one.

at the moment it seems the only solution for this problem is bios reflashing.

be careful when reflashing as things can go really bad if something crashes. have your computer plugged in at the time you are flashing and also just in case of a power surge have your battery charged.

good luck

boy2nr

bu4man
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,427
Message 35 of 68

I have 15'' model and the same problem exists in Ubuntu and in BIOS menu itself (can't save config by pressing Fn+F10). So I can also confitm that this is BIOS problem and not OS/software problem.

In my case problem also started after connecting external USB keyboard which has it's own set of additional buttons (w/o Fn, hardware buttons for PowerOff, Search, Home, Back, Forward, etc).

Problem was fixed once by removing battery and resetting BIOS to default but in 1 week everything started again.

Latest BIOS was installed before the problem appeared for the first time.

Former Employee
Views: 1,418
Message 36 of 68

@boy2nr and bu4man,

Appreciate if either of you could PM me the information which I need to log the case. This has been going on for quite sometime and no one wants to send their machine info for this to be escalated to engineering.

I have a EDGE 14 with me but the FN keys been working fine therefore I am unable to escalate the machine which I have.

Therefore I appreciate if either one of you could send me the following so I may escalate this to engineering and get this investigation going.

//JameZ
Former Employee
Views: 1,394
Message 37 of 68

@bu4man,

I've received your note on the keyboard issue. You mentioned that this issue happens when an external USB keyboard is connected. If it was not will the issue happen?

//JameZ
bu4man
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,377
Message 38 of 68

JameZ,

Issue might be related to external keyboard. But it might be not related to this.

Once keyboard is attached - nothing happens and Fn button continues to work. But after some time it stops to produce any output. Last time I had this problem after laptop woke up from sleep mode w/o any external keyboard attached.

fw190
What's DOS?
Views: 1,363
Message 39 of 68

Hello I've got the same problem son ThinkPad Edge 15''. I'm working on Ubuntu. previously all worked fine but nowit stopped. I thiught that it was the system but reinstalation didn't help. I'don't know how to update bios. Should I send my pc to repair?

Former Employee
Views: 1,350
Message 40 of 68

@bu4man,

When your laptop came out from sleep mode, then the keyboard is not working, then you would need to reboot the laptop in order for your keyboard to work again?

@fw190,

Is there an external keyboard which was plugged in when the issue happened?

//JameZ

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors