cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
srm17
What's DOS?
Views: 887
Message 1 of 4

How to create recovery disks for ThinkPad E550 with Windows 10 and no OneKey Recovery option

Hi,

I have a just purchased the ThinkPad E550. I want to create recovery disks for the system. I have already upgraded the laptop to Windows 10 (system came with Windows 7). There is no OneKey Recovery icon that I can find, and I understand that this may not be available for anythign above Windows 7. How do I create the recovery disks?

Thanks

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 883
Message 2 of 4

Re: How to create recovery disks for ThinkPad E550 with Windows 10 and no OneKey Recovery option

Hi srm17,

Welcome to Lenovo Community.

Does this help?  http://www.techradar.com/us/how-to/software/operating-systems/how-to-create-a-windows-10-recovery-di...

Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2006-2016 / Windows Insider MVP 2016-
I am not employed by Microsoft or Lenovo.

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

srm17
What's DOS?
Views: 855
Message 3 of 4

Re: How to create recovery disks for ThinkPad E550 with Windows 10 and no OneKey Recovery option

Hi Bugbatter,

Thank you, this link was very helpful. I ended up using the second option (i.e., to create a recovery drive on a USB).

Maybe you, or anybody else, could answer another question for me. When I was in the Control Panel and went to create the recovery drive, I noticed a second option that said "Lenovo - Factory Recovery Disks", "Create recovery media". Is there a difference between this option and the option I used, which was listed under "System", "Create a recovery drive"? Should I also be creating a Lenovo factory recovery disk? If I do need to do this, I'm guessing this would restore my computer back to factory defaults and not keep all of the installations and changes I have made while settign up my laptop?

Thanks,

srm

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 838
Message 4 of 4

srm17 wrote:When I was in the Control Panel and went to create the recovery drive, I noticed a second option that said "Lenovo - Factory Recovery Disks", "Create recovery media". Is there a difference between this option and the option I used, which was listed under "System", "Create a recovery drive"? Should I also be creating a Lenovo factory recovery disk? If I do need to do this, I'm guessing this would restore my computer back to factory defaults and not keep all of the installations and changes I have made while settign up my laptop?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That is a good question. I'm thinking that the two are just different options of doing the same thing - one from Windows and one from Lenovo. I'll ask around and post back if I learn anything different. In the meantime maybe someone else will confirm.

Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2006-2016 / Windows Insider MVP 2016-
I am not employed by Microsoft or Lenovo.

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors