Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
sammefford
Paper Tape
Views: 781
Message 1 of 4

How to reinstall the twist w/out USB DVD??

I don't have a USB DVD.  I have recovery DVDs from Lenovo, but I can't get my twist reinstalled since it has no optical drive.  I got the first "Applications and Drivers Recovery" DVD copied successfully to bootable USB using diskpart and unetbootin.  I can boot to the lenovo rescue and recovery, and make it far enough that it repartitions my drives.  But after a bit it prompts me to insert the next disk but fails to recognize other USB drives I insert, even if they're inserted from boot time. 

Help!!  I'm struggling to understand why Lenovo doesn't just provide a USB recovery like Apple does for the Macbook Air.

bobbybao
Paper Tape
Views: 761
Message 2 of 4

Re: How to reinstall the twist w/out USB DVD??

You can try to disable secure boot in bios and enable legacy (also in bios).

Also window 8 have option for you to resintall fresh window without any dvd or usb if you just going to use the same hdd. If you change the hdd then go to bios and disable secure boot (  don't take my word for it, but that is how I got mine to work)

bobbybao
Paper Tape
Views: 760
Message 3 of 4

I believe your usb is just a repair kinda thing. I would download iso file of window 8 and make a boot usb out of that instead

sammefford
Paper Tape
Views: 752
Message 4 of 4

Yeah, I finally found out that I had to disable secure boot to boot from a USB drive.  I called Lenovo support multiple times because I suspected it was something simple like that.  But they fought me saying they won't help with software without me paying, and they simply weren't helpful on that issue.  But as I said, I'm booting from the USB with that disabled.  It's the next step that's not working for me. 

I successfully downloaded a Windows 8 Enterprise ISO and installed it, but since it doesn't match my Windows 8 license, it would expire in 90 days, so I don't think that's a viable option.

I'm giving up and using a USB DVD drive from a relative. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors