Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kgoodkinn
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,048
Message 1 of 4

How to replace screen on E460?

Hey guys, I have an E460 here with a low resolution screen and I would really like to replace/upgrade the screen to a 1080p one to get more life out of this machine however I am having some troubles removing the bezel.

I found a couple youtube videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JYm7cRswrk&t= which I know is not an E450/460 as well as this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bDmrbYejA0 for an E450, as well as another E450 video and in these videos, users are able to just simply pop off the bezel of the screen without taking the entire laptop apart. I am having trouble getting the bottom of the bezel to come off and seperate from the hinges it seems like. I would really like to take this apart without having to take apart the entire laptop and take the top lid off and I can't imagine the design changed drastically from the E450 to the E460 but maybe it did?

I would like some advice and to know if this is something even possible, or if I should just give up on changing the screen unless I am willing to take the entire machine apart?

Guru
Views: 1,044
Message 2 of 4

Re: How to replace screen on E460?

Did you get a chance to look at the HMM(hardware maintenance manual) ?  Starts on page 80 for LCD removal

https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/e460_e465_hmm_en_sp40j47565.pdf

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an”Accepted Solution“!
 If a post helps you, please click the star to give it a "Kudo"!

I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. I will not respond to unsolicited private messages. Questions belong in the forum so it may   help other forum members as well.
 T490, TP 25 Retro, X1 Yoga 3rd Gen, W510 850 EVO, A30p
 Retired 385D, A20p, A21p

kgoodkinn
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,036
Message 3 of 4

Yes, as I said they appear to show removing the entire system board and top lid to take the entire screen off, then replacer the LCD panel. I have seen videos on youtube on other similar models, as well as the previous generation where people were able to just remove the bezel, unclip the ribbon cable from the monitor and replace however I cannot get the bezel off with it attached to the machine and that is what I am trying to do. I am trying to avoid opening up the entire system and disconnecting the system board or anything if possible.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,006
Message 4 of 4

First, I have never replaced the LCD panel on an E460.  On similar models, the hard thing is getting the bezel's bottom edge free of the base, but after you get it off and the panel is replaced, it is very hard to get the bottom edge snapped into the base cover so that everything is straight.  I have changed a lot of panels and I have a good idea how it is supposed to feel and how much pressure to use.  The service manual is written to minimize the chances of breaking something.  If I were doing it, I would try to swap the panel without taking the machine completely apart, but I would be ready to change direction if it seemed appropriate.  My advice to you is to follow the manual.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors