Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hungry
Not applicable
Views: 2,396
Message 1 of 3

Installing Windows 8 to mSATA drive on Lenovo E430

Got my new E430 last week that came with 750GB hard drive and no SSD.  I bought a Samsung mSATA 128GB to add as windows boot disk.  Research various forums to find the best method to do it.  I tried many different things, including cloning wth EaseUS Todo Backup.  In the end I came upon a simplest method that I didn't know would work.  Wish I didn't read so many forums ;-)

I thought many in the same boat with me so I thought to share for what it's worth.  Hopefully will save you time.

1.  Although you can't generate a series of recovery DVDs anymore, you can do the same onto a 16GB USB flash drive.  I paid $10 for mine from Amazon.

2.  After creating the USB recovery flash drive, use that to boot and install fresh into you mSATA.  This is the part I didn't know was possible, but it is.  To make sure it boots from the USB drive and not the hard drive (no matter how you set F12), I had to remove the hard drive, install the fresh mSATA 128GB, and boot.  It will take you through the sequence to "reset" the system fresh onto the mSATA drive.

3.  Then the system rebooted allowing you to do all the Win8 setup.  Win 8 is another animal that took me sometime to get familiarized with.

4.  For those who wonder about SSD partition "alignment", I verify that Win 8 did it right (whereas "cloning" didn't).  I used the following instruction to verify:  

http://lifehacker.com/5837769/make-sure-your-partitions-are-correctly-aligned-for-optimal-solid-stat...

5.  I followed this website to set up and optimize windows 8 to run on SSD.  Very helpful explanation:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1240779/seans-windows-8-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds

6.  After installing all my essential programs and clean up the disk, I re-installed the hardrive and wiped out the primary partition (about 700GB now).  Will use that for data.   (I did something here not sure will be helpful, but I actually created 2 partitions on the hard drive, a smaller one where I "clone" the mSATA SSD to it just in case I need to return the system set up back to today's setup.  dont know if it will work, but i set apart only 60GB for this).

That is it.  Good luck. I'm still learning this stuff and get the most out of Win 8, but hey I hope this is helpful.

Tout1108G
Not applicable
Views: 2,353
Message 2 of 3

Re: Installing Windows 8 to mSATA drive on Lenovo E430

Hey there Hungry,

Thank you so much for posting this information for us! There are quite a few people looking for guidance on installing SSDs with windows 8, and you are quite right, windows 8 is a whole monster on its own. I found this information helpful and it'll be a great point of reference for others.

Thank you for being a part of the Lenovo Community.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution".! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.
Highlighted
WonderWoofy
Not applicable
Views: 2,332
Message 3 of 3

Re: Installing Windows 8 to mSATA drive on Lenovo E430

You know if your system is still under warranty, you can get lenovo to send you recovery discs for free.  

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors