Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
troto
Paper Tape
Views: 1,289
Message 1 of 6

Left Click not working properly on E470

Hello everybody

I have a Thinkpad E470 and starting two weeks ago the left mouse-click from above my touchpad started acting up.
The left mouse-click is not possible most of the time (sometimes it is).
I`m using an external USB-mouse now, and this works fine, except when the left touchpad-click starts random clicking.
It comes in waves and starts rapid-fire clicking.

I tried:
- turning the touchpad off via the touchpad settings, this doesn`t disable the click-buttons above the touchpad,
- turning the mouse off via the device mangager, this only disables the external mouse,
- and I tried a system reset to before the issue arose, this didn`t change anything.

Am I right in assuming that this is a hardware failure?

I`m thinking about two possible solutions.
1. I could send it in repair, it stills has a warranty.
The problem is, that I dropped the notebook a year ago and it has a ding at the edge. I never had any issue after it but I`m afraid that this might have voided the warranty. (In my country, usually sending into repair is costly, even if they don`t repair anything.)
2. I somehow get the touchpad-mouse to turn off and use an external one. This would be an ok solution for me, as long as there is no random clicking interfering anymore.
Problem is, I still haven`t been able to turn those click-buttons off.

What do you think would be my best course of action?
I`d really appreciate any help or pointers.

Best regards

SeniorGuru
Views: 1,246
Message 2 of 6

Re: Left Click not working properly on E470

Grüezi and welcome to the forum.

1. I would call local support, explain that the E470 was dropped, etc. and ask if your warranty for the current issue would be valid. If they say yes, then send it in. If they say no, then you've saved the cost and loss of use from sending it in.

2. The buttons above the TouchPad also work with the TrackPad. You could try to turn off both pointing devices in Windows. If that doesn't work you can also turn them off in BIOS. Of course if this succeeds then you'll always need an external mouse to be able to use the E470. (You'd probably want to have a USB-attached mouse, at least available, in case a wireless mouse fails to pair with the E470.)

3. If 2. doesn't work, according to the E470 Hardware Maintenance Manual there are two connectors between the keyboard assemby and the motherboard. Presumably one if for the keyboard and the other is for the pointing devices. You might want to experiment with disconnecting one cable at a time. See Removal steps of the keyboard - ThinkPad E470, E475

4. If the E470 warranty is no longer valid then perhaps the cheapest and most expedient solution is to buy a replacement keyboard on Amazon, eBay, etc. Here's an example on amazon.com AUTENS Laptop Replacement Keyboard for Lenovo ThinkPad E470 for US$32. Presumably you can find something similar in Europe for about the same price.

Paper Tape
Views: 1,240
Message 3 of 6

Thank you so much for this extensive guide Smiley Happy

I`ll try this step for step and rapport back, when I have solved the problem.

Just a quick question:
How come you suggest in 4. to replace the keyboard?
In the amazon-link it doesn`t seem as if the keyboard includes the part of the click-buttons.

SeniorGuru
Views: 1,225
Message 4 of 6

@troto wrote:

How come you suggest in 4. to replace the keyboard?
In the amazon-link it doesn`t seem as if the keyboard includes the part of the click-buttons.

Sorry, my error. The TouchPad is a separate part, as is the cable. See for example these eBay listings:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=e470+trackpad

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-for-Lenovo-ThinkPad-E470-E475-Touchpad-Clickpad-Cable-Wire-Mouse-Board-...

Replacing these seems more difficult than swapping the keyboard. You might want to try the other suggestions first, especially if you can live without working TouchPad and mouse buttons.

Lenovo Employee
Views: 1,210
Message 5 of 6

Hi Troto,

The button above touchpad is TrackPoint button, so it is not related to touchpad. If you would like to replace it, it is easier to replace whole the keyboard.

For the problem, I have some tips that may quick help.

1. Please try to left-click several places along the button, there may have some weak positions that the click may not be sensitive enough. 

2. Paste a small-thin sticker under button may help a little bit

Hope it works.

Thank you.

From Lenovo
SeniorGuru
Views: 1,196
Message 6 of 6

@Mai_small_cat wrote:

Hi Troto,

The button above touchpad is TrackPoint button, so it is not related to touchpad. If you would like to replace it, it is easier to replace whole the keyboard. 

I thought so too. But when Troto pointed out that the keyboard I linked to didn't have TrackPoint buttons I noticed a discrepancy. The pictures in Removal steps of the keyboard - ThinkPad E470, E475 show a keyboard without TrackPoint buttons. But the Removal steps for keyboard - ThinkPad T470 shows a keyboard with the TrackPoint buttons attached. So I presume the keyboards for E470 and T470 are different in at least this respect.

For the problem, I have some tips that may quick help.

1. Please try to left-click several places along the button, there may have some weak positions that the click may not be sensitive enough. 

2. Paste a small-thin sticker under button may help a little bit

Hope it works.

Thank you. 

Yes, those are both very good suggestions. I had a ThinkPad with a left TrackPoint button that only worked reliably when I pressed that button squarely in the middle. In that case the TrackPoint buttons were attached to the keyboard and I was able to fix the problem easily by replacing the entire keyboard.

Thanks for your help in clarifying this.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors