Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
stapper
Paper Tape
Views: 2,511
Message 1 of 13

Lenovo 04W3814, will it pass whitelist on Lenovo Edge E540 (Bios 2.16)

Wil this card,Lenovo 04W3814, pass the whitelist on a Lenovo Edge E540 with bios 2.16?

I'm unable to find a list with usable FRU's for this type of laptop.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,497
Message 2 of 13

Re: Lenovo 04W3814, will it pass whitelist on Lenovo Edge E540 (Bios 2.16)

Hello and welcome,

The BOM is a little hard to find:  http://download.lenovo.com/parts/ThinkPad/e540_fru_bom_20140728.pdf

Looks like the answer is no.  Nothing in the BIOS readme mentions adding any wifi cards.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

stapper
Paper Tape
Views: 2,492
Message 3 of 13

Then why is the driver listed on the support page for this product?
http://support.lenovo.com/be/nl/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-edge-laptops/thinkpad-edge-e5...

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,488
Message 4 of 13

I have no idea.  I can only go by what I see in the BOM.  It may be that the BOM is out of date or incorrect.

Perhaps another member has tried this and can add some info.   If you try it please let us know how it works.

[edit] The BOM lists the 7260-AC as 04X6010.  It may be that the driver supports the '6010 but not the '3814.  IF so, I don't know what the difference is.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

stapper
Paper Tape
Views: 2,471
Message 5 of 13

Ok so it's description is "Intel Wilkins Peak 2 7260 2*2 11ac+BT4.0 HMC Module" does this mean this is card will only do ac or is it compatible with b/g/n? And what does Cru id (2) mean? And do I also need to replace the antenna's?

I have following product type: 20c6-0044mb

Please help. I bought this because it was ease serviceable, but this bios whitelist thing is killing it.

Why couldn't you just make a perfect product instead of a less then perfect product? This bios whitelisting is only harming your good name, Lenovo.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,464
Message 6 of 13

Are you referring to the 04X6010 in the BOM?  An AC card should also support a/b/g/n operation.  The driver README refers to it as dual-band AC.

I don't think you'll need to change the antennas, but that may depend on what card is already installed. My guess from the MT-M you provided is that you currently have the 7260 dual-band (non AC) card.  Perhaps you can verify that.

Is the intent with the card swap to add AC capability?  I believe that the whitelisted card will do that for you, but please bear in mind that I'm only going on what I can read. I don't have personal experience with this swap.  Perhaps someone with actual experience will join the conversation.

"Why couldn't you just make a perfect product instead of a less then perfect product? This bios whitelisting is only harming your good name, Lenovo."

I'm not sure to whom you're speaking here.  Note that I, and other mods and gurus are volunteers here.  We aren't employed by, nor do we speak for Lenovo.  I'm not crazy about the whitelist either, but it's the reality we have to live with.

Regards,

Z.

stapper
Paper Tape
Views: 2,445
Message 7 of 13

Thanks for the info, sorry for the little rant.
It seems the community here makes the less than perfect Laptop, near perfect.

I don't think I have a dualband adapter for the moment.
As for " I'm not crazy about the whitelist either, but it's the reality we have to live with". I never really liked reality.

tgeshev
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,311
Message 8 of 13

hello,

Will use this topic to ask. I buy Intel AC 7260 dual wifi card to change my 2.4 Ghz only 7260 card. Then BIOS halted with 1802 error for device (8086/08B1/8086/4070). BIOS was 2.08 version. I update to 2.17 but the same error occurs again. What can I do to use my new wifi card with my excelent dual band wifi router ?

Thanks

capsl0cked
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,260
Message 9 of 13

you can not use EBAY etc 7260ac.. it will NOT work. ever.
only from lenovo works.
tgeshev
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,254
Message 10 of 13

Why do you say never ? Btw. My laptop is warmer with BIOS 2.17 Will downgrade to 2.08 again. And USB 3.0 still not work correct with linux

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors