Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
mmayssf
Punch Card
Views: 3,232
Message 1 of 26

Lenovo E480/E580 and Lenovo USB-C dock stops charging after shutdown/restart

Lenovo E480 and E580 laptops stop charging when they are shut down/restarted while plugged into a Lenovo USB-C dock (model 40A9). Despite being plugged in, the battery drains until the computer shuts down.

In order to resolve it, the USB-C cable needs to be unplugged and plugged back in to the computer. Once done, it starts to charge normally, until the next time it is shut down/restarted, at which point the issue reoccurs.

The problem doesn't occur when the laptop is plugged in via the OEM 65W USB-C AC adapter.

We've tried the solutions noted on the dock troubleshooting guide.

We've tried driver updates (still happening as of dock driver v10014), BIOS updates (still happening on v1.28), and dock firmware updates (still happening on v3.7B, which is yet to even be released on the dock support page).

We've also tried replacing the dock, replacing the USB-C cable, and replacing the 90W AC adapter that comes with the dock, with another 90W OEM adapter. No success.

This issue has been reported by numerous other people over the past 9 months and has occurred on at least 10-15 computers at our office (see below for forum post links and other people who have reported the issue on these forums).

Lenovo seems to have acknowledged this is a known issue as per this tweet.

However, since then I haven't been able to get anyone else on @LenovoSupport Twitter or Lenovo support chat to provide any updates, or even acknowledge it as a known issue. Lenovo's only recent response is to send the computer in for service. Unfortunately, we can't justify building a bunch of spare machines and losing a lot of work on an issue that might be present on the replacement computer as well.

Anyone have any ideas for how this can be escalated at this point given that it's been happening for at least 9 months and has yet to be addressed or even consistently acknowledged by Lenovo?

Reported by sesses

Reported by melotron

Reported by GodofThunder901

Reported by Martijn40

Reported by littlebloke

Thread 1

Thread 2

mattel
What's DOS?
Views: 3,108
Message 2 of 26

Re: Lenovo E480/E580 and Lenovo USB-C dock stops charging after shutdown/restart

We are seeing this problem as well with an E580 and the dock. Only it got worse, now it won't charge at all from the dock or the power cord. The BIOS can't update because the battery is below 25%.
mmayssf
Punch Card
Views: 3,043
Message 3 of 26

Re: Lenovo E480/E580 and Lenovo USB-C dock stops charging after shutdown/restart

UPDATE:

Lenovo social media support recommended I install Lenovo Vantage from the Microsoft Store. I have tried this on two E580s so far, and installed System Interface Foundation when prompted, with a reboot afterward.

On one machine, the charging issue reoccurred after the installation and reboot. Then, as soon as I launched Lenovo Vantage, the computer began to charge normally.

On the other machine, the issue reoccurred after the installation and reboot, and launching Lenovo Vantage had no effect. I tried changing some of the settings in the app, including setting a battery threshold to turn off charging and then removing it again, and it did not trigger the computer to start charging.

In the power menu of Lenovo Vantage, the computer does detect a 60W power supply is connected (this is not surprising because some of the capacity of the 90W power supply that comes with the dock must go to powering dock components). See here for a screenshot of this with the issue actively occurring.

dave351
Paper Tape
Views: 2,753
Message 4 of 26

Hello, recently purchased an E580 and USB-C dock and am having the same charging problems as the rest of you.  My laptop is used at work and they shut off all computers remotely every Saturday night, so when I come in on Monday, I have to remember disconnect & reconnect my laptop to the dock or it won't charge.  Looking forward to an update from Lenovo (or from another user if anyone figures out a fix). Thanks!

SteveEarl
What's DOS?
Views: 2,012
Message 5 of 26

Anyone hear of an updates on this issue.  I'm of course having the same problem on a newly purchased E580 (3 weeks old).  Sometimes just unpluging the USB-C docking station works, sometimes it doesn't.

This evening it didn't work.  So I tried one of the tips mentioned above.  I launched Lenovo Vantage (I hadn't created my account yet, so I needed to complete that first).  So after (just a few seconds later) the computer began to charge. ie: It states: "plugged in and charging".  But I don't think it's charging normally.  It's showing 96% full with "35 min to full charge".   That seems like a really long time to only complete 4% charge.

dave351
Paper Tape
Views: 1,936
Message 6 of 26

@SteveEarl wrote:

Anyone hear of an updates on this issue.  I'm of course having the same problem on a newly purchased E580 (3 weeks old).  Sometimes just unpluging the USB-C docking station works, sometimes it doesn't.

This evening it didn't work.  So I tried one of the tips mentioned above.  I launched Lenovo Vantage (I hadn't created my account yet, so I needed to complete that first).  So after (just a few seconds later) the computer began to charge. ie: It states: "plugged in and charging".  But I don't think it's charging normally.  It's showing 96% full with "35 min to full charge".   That seems like a really long time to only complete 4% charge.

Steve, 96% is what I usually see when plugged in (I think I've seen it at 99/100% before, but I'm not sure when or how often).  In my experience, as long as it stays at 96% then I know it's charging and as full as it's going to get.  When it drops below 96% - that's when I know to unplug the dock - and that's worked pretty consistently for me so far.  

And to answer your first question, I still haven't heard of any updates on this or any other forums - and unfortunately I've given up looking for new info - seems like it's not a priority for them anymore.

mmayssf
Punch Card
Views: 1,857
Message 7 of 26

Got some traction on this with Lenovo finally.

I sent an E580 and USB-C dock that were exhibiting the issue to them, and one of their level 2 support engineers is now investigating the issue.

I'll update here with any news they provide.

The organization I work with has recently started to deploy E590s and I have at least one confirmed report of the charging issue occurring with the 590 as well.

I suspect it's a problem with the dock or dock drivers. Hopefully they'll be able to get this figured out soon.

Stay tuned!

SteveEarl
What's DOS?
Views: 1,770
Message 8 of 26

So, now that I’ve been using a USB-C docking station for 2 weeks, I believe it’s actually working as designed.

Meaning, the battery isn’t “always” charging.  It can be “Plugged in and not charging” and this is by design.

I’ve logged into the Lenovo Vantage app and there is a specific feature called: “Charge Threshold”.

It states: “If you primarily use your computer with AC adapter attached and only infrequently use battery power, you can increase the lifespan of the battery by setting the maximum charge value to below 100%.  This is useful because batteries that are used infrequently have a longer lifespan when they are maintained at less than full charge.”

(You have the option to turn this feature on or off.)

The default was set-up like this:

“Start charging when below: 75%”

“Stop charging at: 80%”

Everything has been great with my USB-C docking station and when it’s plugged in, I notice that it’s “Plugged in and not charging” until it falls below 75%.  Then it starts to charge again.

mmayssf
Punch Card
Views: 1,744
Message 9 of 26

Unfortunately this isn't reflective of the issue expressed in this post.

Most of the machines I have worked with that suffer from this problem do not have Lenovo Vantage installed, and thus are not specifically subject to this behavior. Installing Lenovo Vantage on these machines and adjusting the charging behavior via the setting you suggested hasn't proven consistently successful.

Additionally, when the issue occurs, it doesn't start charging when the battery falls to 75%; it continues to drop until the computer shuts down due to a fully drained battery, despite being plugged in the entire time.

Lenovo has a test machine in hand that was experiencing the charging issue, but hasn't been able to replicate it thus far. This happened to me as well - despite the numerous computers exhibiting the problem during normal use, I wasn't consistently able to reproduce the problem when I would swap out the laptop and test the one that was returned. I'm hoping that they have success soon.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 1,737
Message 10 of 26

Hi there! The Thinkpad USB-C Dock is not compatible with the EE480/E580 model. You can refer to this link :https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/accessories/acc100348 the compatible models with this docking station. We highly suggest to connect it directly to the outlet and check if the issue persist.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors