cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dave351
Paper Tape
Views: 857
Message 11 of 26

Re: Lenovo E480/E580 and Lenovo USB-C dock stops charging after shutdown/restart

You may want to check this page for Thinkpad USB-C Dock 40A90090US (which is the dock to which the thread originator was referring).  According to the Tech Specs page, both of those models - E480 and E580 - are listed as compatible.  

I purchsaed this dock based on the specs listed on the Lenovo website, and I'm assuming many others did as well.  If you're telling us that Lenovo's site is wrong, then they're going to need to start issuing refunds to those of us who purchased this product based on that incorrect information.  Please let me know who I can contact to begin the refund process. Thanks for bring this to our attention!

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 852
Message 12 of 26

Re: Lenovo E480/E580 and Lenovo USB-C dock stops charging after shutdown/restart

I see. If it's listed then it should be compatible. We will be providing a feedback to the right folks. You can also help us by a providing a feedback to our website: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/ , there is a feedback button at the right side. You may also include the issue you are having.

In the mean time, what we can advise is to plugged in the cable after the computer starts for now.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

mmayssf
Punch Card
Views: 405
Message 13 of 26

I noticed that on the tech specs page for this dock, as linked by @dave351, it does *not* list the E480/E580 as compatible models now. Not sure if this was changed in response to this thread, but a Google cached version of the page from 6/19/19 DOES list the E480 and E580, so the change is at most a couple of days old.

However, that product page DOES list the E490/E590 as compatible models, and I have recently confirmed that this same charging issue is occurring on at least one E590 in the organization as well. So, compatibility does not appear to be the culprit here.

As an additional note, that same product page (and the cached version) lists the E570 and L470 as compatible...but those models have no USB-C port.

I don't see any recent laptop models listed at all on the support page provided by @Jwes_Lenovo, including many of the models on the product page. The support page also still offers firmware version 3.7 as the most recent version for this dock, when in fact the most recent version is 3.7B as per this thread response from @Juraj_Lenovo (an official Lenovo representative/administrator) back in November 2018. Based on this, my guess is that the support page is badly outdated and has not been receiving attention from Lenovo product management teams.

At best, it's hard to make an informed decision about what Lenovo products will suit our needs if the documentation available to us is inaccurate or outdated, and then Lenovo representatives respond to help requests based on that inaccurate/outdated information, rather than from a position of mastery of the product and its capabilities. At worst, if there is a compatibility problem that was not identified by Lenovo until recently, we now have over 150 USB-C docks that were purchased with E580s that we will need to explore refund options for, since these sales were completed when the E580 was still listed as compatible on the product page.

I've passed this information to my level 2 support contact at Lenovo to validate whether or not there is indeed a compatibility issue here and will report back with his response.
@Jwes_Lenovo, if you could please consult with your internal contacts and respond back here with information on how we can formally request refunds from Lenovo in the event of confirmed incompatibility, it would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time!

dave351
Paper Tape
Views: 396
Message 14 of 26

When I ordered a new laptop though my company, I chose this one specifically because I wanted a Lenovo (our hospital has been transitioning to HPs but I won that argument lol), and it had a supported USB dock for peripherals and dual-monitor setup.  Personally, I can live with unplugging/plugging once a week if I have to (network policy shuts down all computers every weekend), but my concern is will this be the only issue I'm going to have as a result of their deciding this dock is no longer compatible with the E580. 

I find it a little disconcerting that they changed that page so quickly after it was posted, but I guess that’s how things work nowadays.

Highlighted
mmayssf
Punch Card
Views: 368
Message 15 of 26

I received confirmation from my L2 contact at Lenovo that the USB-C dock (40A9) is compatible with the E580 and E480, as indicated by this spreadsheet from Lenovo's "Option Compatibility Matrix" (https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/accs-guide).

An "x" in the cell indicates the product is incompatible with a specific model of computer, so it looks like this should be good.

The contact I'm working with has requested that we update BIOS on affected computers to 1.33 as it includes a fix for a charging LED issue that occurs when the computer is plugged in. We've done this on one of our machines and I'm waiting to see the outcome. For the rest of you who are affected by this issue, please feel free to try it out and respond with the results here so I can pass them along.

Thanks!

dave351
Paper Tape
Views: 359
Message 16 of 26

Thanks for the follow up @mmayssf!  

mmayssf
Punch Card
Views: 339
Message 17 of 26

Unfortunately, I received confirmation today that the BIOS update to 1.33 did not resolve the charging issue. 

@dave351 - just to confirm with you, are you using the Lenovo factory image on your laptop, or do you have a custom image applied to it?

dave351
Paper Tape
Views: 327
Message 18 of 26

@mmayssf wrote:

@dave351 - just to confirm with you, are you using the Lenovo factory image on your laptop, or do you have a custom image applied to it?

Our IT department reimages new computers before they give them to us, so it's a custom image.  

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 291
Message 19 of 26

All,

Thanks for all of your input and patience, engineers believe they have found the root cause which will require a BIOS/EC update to fix. The expected time to public release is approximately 3 weeks for the creation, testing and certification process.

Andy

English Community Leader
Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points 
Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star below their post awarding them Kudos

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

mmayssf
Punch Card
Views: 239
Message 20 of 26

@Andy_Lenovo, thanks for the update on this. 

I'm not sure if you noticed an earlier update from me on this thread, but the issue is happening for both the E580 and E590 models at my organization.

Do you know if the same update will be deployed for both models?

Appreciate your help!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors