Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Fritse
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,309
Message 1 of 84

Lenovo E480 usb-c dock problem with monitors

Hello,

i have a Lenovo E480 docked via USB-C at a USB-C dock Type 40A9.

I have 2 monitors at the dock via displayport.

I encounter the problem that both monitors constantly have little flickerings and turn off for 1-3 seconds from time to time. The monitor display "no signal". After reading other posts on the internet, i assume that it might be that the graphic card does not have enought voltage for a moment and therefore the signal is off.

In general it seems to me that a) graphic cards have a problem with the dock b) the dock is not providing enough voltage for the laptop to work properly, c) the cable is broken, d) any kind of driver problems though i already updated all drivers.

Any advices. it's really getting nasty, that he monitors turn black frequently.

Best regards

Gaël
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,201
Message 2 of 84

Re: Lenovo E480 usb-c dock problem with monitors

Hello Fritse,

I got the exact same problem. I though it was caused by the fact I'm running Linux Mint 18.3 (based on Ubuntu 16.04 something). But today I'm not that sure it's caused by the OS or a pilot.

My current setup is : E480 + the usb-c dock + 2 iiyama monitors  (connected using dispayport->dvi cable).

Today, I'm alone at the office and I noticed a few things :

• there is almost no flickering (I called that snow), whereas yesterday it was all over my monitors. Today it's barely noticeable.
  • It always the same monitor that turn off and on After switching on and off the dock the second monitor is coming off and on too.

I'm thinking our problem could be caused by a dirty power source. I need to test a few things before I can confirm that.

Here is what I tested for now with no noticeable changes :

• Using a VGA cable I have the same problem
  • I got the same issues with a well working usb-c dock
  • Changed the usb cable with a genuine one working well with a Thinkpad E580, same

I'll update my post if I find new things ;-)

Edit 05-19-18 :

Looks like it the same on an other power socket. It may come from my power strip...

Regards

Gaël

Highlighted
Fritse
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,182
Message 3 of 84

Hi Gael,

i couldn't solve the problem until know. I docked 1 monitor directly to the laptop via HDMI, so this solved at least the problems with 1 monitor.

I also encountered the problem, that the notebook sometimes does not charge when docked to the usb-C-dock.

hopefully someones comes up with a solution or lenovo manages to update the firmware, if it's not a hardware problem.

sesses
Punch Card
Views: 5,154
Message 4 of 84

Hi,

I have the same problem.

When I power on my Lenovo E480 (Intel UHD 620 only version) on my Thinkpad USB-C Docking station with 2x 1080p monitors attached to it, I get blinking white pixels and the screens randomly turn off and on again. This happens also with only one monitor and nothing else attached to the notebook and also in different households so its not the power outlet.

I tried other monitors as well as also new triple shielded Displayport to DVI cables, the problem persists.

All updates below were the latest as of 2018-05-21.

I updated the Lenovo Docking station to the latest firmware version.

I updated the Lenovo Docking station driver to the latest version.

I updated Windows 10 to the latest version.

I updated the BIOS to the latest version and also installed the latest Intel UHD driver 23.x which was provided from Lenovo and this didn't improve anything.

Then I installed the latest Intel UHD 620 driver 24.20.100.6025 ( https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27680/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10?produc...)

I had to download the zip Version -> install it manually over device manager -> "browse my computer for driver software" -> "let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer" -> "Have Disk..." and locate driver in extracted zip folder in subfolder "Graphics" -> "igdlh64.inf"

With the exe Installer version the system told me that this driver would not be compatible.

The Installation worked with the zip version as described above and suddenly the screen turning on and off again disappeared and the white pixel flashing stopped.

But after restarting the notebook the turning off and on again and the white flashing pixels were back though the device manager showed the 24.20.100.6025.

By reinstalling the driver with the method described above, the problems again went away until next restart.

So please Lenovo, fix this mess. It can't be due to a defective device because I read about these issues with your new USB-C Docking stations all over the internet.

I am a long-year Lenovo customer and fan, and I am greatly disappointed by these problems. The Lenovo E480 also has a poor thermal fan management, especially with the discrete amd gpu (that was the reason why I returned this version and bought the E480 without discrete graphics and only the integrated Intel UHD 620).

I can overlook this noise issue, but flashing white pixels and a constantly turning on/off screen is worth nothing.

I still hope for a soon update for the graphics driver / docking station over Lenovo Vantage Software or something else.

Gaël
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,143
Message 5 of 84

I just flashed the dock firmware this morning too with no improvement in the end. My BIOS is up to date. Whether my E480 is running Linux ou Windows10 it's the same : there is snow on screen.

I'm quite disappointed.

Any chance we got someone from Lenovo to look into this and address this problem ?!

I'll contact the support and see what they will tell.

Regards

SimTo
Punch Card
Views: 5,089
Message 6 of 84

Same here. We have over 10 E480 here, only 2 of them deployed with USB-C docking station yet.

So far we got only one E480 with the described problem.
Latest drivers and firmware for notebook and docking station, but still unuseable. The flickering is especially bad at the Bitlocker login screen. Last time I have seen this kind of issue, I had a dedicated graphics card with damaged VRAM ...

From our testing we can tell that the issue seems to come from the notebook itself, as we tried multiple docking stations with the same device and other E480, with same firmware/patch level won't show any flickering with the same set of cables / power supply etc.

*Edit*
Attached a picture of the issue. Taken from Boot Selection Screen, which tells us we are not facing an Windows driver issue here.

@sesses: there's another thread here where we are currently discussing the problem with the E480 fan control:
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-11e-Windows-13-E-and/Thinkpad-E480-heat-and-fan-noise-issue/td...

Google for "TPfancontrol" and give it a try at "Smart Mode"

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 5,038
Message 7 of 84

Hello All,

Engineers have been looking into this issue but have so far been unable to reproduce it in the lab. They have requested if you could all post the make and models of the displays you have attached to the docking stations and would also be grateful if someone could capture the flickering / blinking pixels in a short video and post it please.

Thanks in advance

Andy

English Community Leader

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Deutsche Community Comunidad en Español English Community Русскоязычное Сообщество Communidade Portugues

Gaël
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,028
Message 8 of 84

Hello Andy

I tried with 2 iiyama ProLite E2282HD and a E2283HS. I'm using 2 dvi to displayport cable of 5 feets/1,8meter (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KANYY8U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

Here is what I can capture with my phone :

IMG_20180524_094715.jpg

I didn't wait for the monitor to "turn off and on", as it's random.

Are you interested by a capture from the computer itself ?

Regards,

SimTo
Punch Card
Views: 5,024
Message 9 of 84

We are using DisplayPort -> DVI cables here too and so far got this error with multiple displays from various brands.
Currently can't get a picture on the screen with one of the docking station ports wired DisplayPort -> DisplayPort
No signal. Still testing.

*Edit*
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Found something:

The E480 with the faulty picture over USB-C won't show any picture (no signal) on any screen on a two monitor setup, when it is wired with at least one DisplayPort -> DisplayPort cable. Other E480's - tested with 2 other devices - have no issue with this cabling.

@Lenovo support: you need a faulty device to reproduce this issue in your lab. If you can't find one, I'd happily provide you this one here, in exchange for a replacement device.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

We, too, have the white pixels showing up with dark/black backgrounds.

With colored backgrounds it looks like this (taken from Bitlocker login screen):

sesses
Punch Card
Views: 4,933
Message 10 of 84

Here I have an example video of the white pixel snow which happens permanently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3x8L9sRmgI

In addition, every few minutes one or the other of the two attached screens blanks

(both attached with a displayport->dvi video cable, other cables were tested and lead to the same result.)

Both attached Monitors are LG E2442TA, I also tested only a single of the two monitors attached to the docking station on both display ports and it gave the same white snow pixels result and occassionally screen blanking.

I also tried another monitor LG E2411T which lead to the same results.

The Notebook is still the E480 without discrete graphics chip and latest Intel driver for the integrated graphics card. Also the Dock firmware and driver is the latest version. Windows Updates and Lenovo Vantage Updates are all up to date.

Top Kudoed Authors