Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Fritze
Paper Tape
Views: 2,282
Message 21 of 85

Re: Lenovo E480 usb-c dock problem with monitors

Hello,

we use E480's with USB-C Docks and X1's with Thunderbolt Docks and various monitors. The E480/USB-C combination is affected as stated earlier in this thread. X1/Thunderbolt is working flawlessly.

I strongly believe that this behaviour is linked to the supplied USB-C Cable, at least for the E480/USB-C combination. If I take a Thunderbolt-Cable from one of the X1's and exchange it with the USB-C cable everything works fine. No flickering, no black screens. I have ordered a Belkin Thunderbolt3 Cable (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0725DW6D3/) which should arrive early next week. In the meantime - is anyone here who has a Thunderbolt3 Cable and is able to confirm that there is no flickering/black screen with it?

Kind regards

besoft
Paper Tape
Views: 2,227
Message 22 of 85

I am interested in this topic... I am thinking about to buy an E480 (with or without?) RX550. Usage of the E480, I am software developer, I will use it with 40A900090 (my plan) and two tnhinkvision monitors.

I read this topic worried. Is this ("snowing") problem fixed?

The RX550 version: Can I turn off (disabling) the card for more battery life? Fe. When I use it without power connection. And should I enable (maybe automatically), when I use E480 with docking?

sesses
Punch Card
Views: 2,215
Message 23 of 85

@besoft

You should not buy the version with the RX550. I bought this Version in the first place and had to return it because the fan was abnormally loud and the notebook was getting extremely hot. There is a very detailed review that shows that the E480 with dedicated GPU has only disadvantages compared to the IGP version since the last update (gpu is now throttled because of heat issues it had before the update and now it is as powerful as the internal graphics chip). See https://www.notebookcheck.net/ThinkPad-E480-i5-8250U-RX-550-Laptop-Review.280524.0.html

@Fritze

I will also try to attach the docking station with the thunderbolt cable as you described. I just ordered it. During the last days I also encountered the notebook not charging from time to time, so I hope the new cable will solve the display and charging issues.

Fritse
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,186
Message 24 of 85

Hi,

just tried to update the dock firmware and also the drivers for the dock on the E-480. Unfortunately the lenovo solution center did not inform me, that there were new drivers.

The update on the usb-c-dock failed on hx3/ccg4, don't know why, but other components were updated.

I'll keep you informed if that helps.

Fritse
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,185
Message 25 of 85

Hi Fritze,

what a funny moment to see my name twice in a forum :=)

I encountered problems with charging the E480 via the dock and this was due to the cable. appearantly i can't plug it the other way round to charge the laptop. Therefore your suggestion might be right, that it's all due to the cable. I ordered a 100w/20V/5A usb-c to usb-c cable. Hopefully that works
Gaël
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,176
Message 26 of 85

I'm using a 1 meter  - 10Gbit/s - 100W usb type cable and still got the swow : https://www.startech.com/fr/Cables/usb-c/cable-usb-c-usb-3-1-power-delivery~USB31C5C1M

I didn't get any new from the frensh support...

Fritse
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,159
Message 27 of 85

Snow got much better on my monitors. Can't tell why. I am guessing it's due to the cooling pad or it might be driver updates (only from lenovo support) or it's due to the fact, that i disabled the distinct gpu.  But i stall have the regular blackouts on the screens.

marvnl
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,110
Message 28 of 85

So now that people created short video's of their issue. How can this help Lenovo if they still cannot reproduce it after some videos? And I am having the same issue with a lot of muy colleagues also. And I just dont know what to do with this.
We have E560, E550, E470 and E580 models. I just received the first same incident with the E580 model with usb-c docking 40A90090EU. This happens really random. There is no log file or something that registrar the issue. Completely an irritating issue.
laurofrei
What's DOS?
Views: 2,096
Message 29 of 85

Hi

I can confirm, that exchanging the USB-C cable wiht a TB3 cable did solve the issue on my setup. Fortunately, one of my colleagues has the Thunderbolt 3 Dock and I was able to exchange cables and test it for a day long.

So the Tb3 cable seems to be the solution. I informed Lenovo Support about this and now I'm waiting for a response.

Fritze
Paper Tape
Views: 2,087
Message 30 of 85

@Fritze: After registration I saw your very similar name, seems like I did not make a clever decision Smiley Very Happy

Buying the Thunderbolt3 Cable (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0725DW6D3/) was a right decision, though. The flickering is gone and in the past 24 hours there were no black screens.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors