Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Trenkov
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,470
Message 1 of 14

Lenovo E555 UEFI BIOS ROM file needed

Hello, I’ve got the Lenovo E555 which turned off while updating UEFI BIOS under Windows. Now notebook has got corrupted BIOS and it would not start. Tried to flash it with .fl1 file and bootable cd, but no luck. Can someone send me a backup ROM file of his Bios?

Or maybe someone who can tell me how to flash it when it’s broken (nothing happens when notebook is turned on, only fan is turning on and got a blank screen). When hit fn+R notebook starts to read from usb Flash drive, but only for a few seconds, than stops and that’s all.

Guru
Views: 1,411
Message 2 of 14

Re: Lenovo E555 UEFI BIOS ROM file needed

Hi

I want to follow your thread because I don't know about the "fn+R" key combination. Any more info is welcome. (and I'm also checking google)

If the machine is still under warranty you also may have the option to open a ticket. Check the warranty at: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/uu/en/warrantylookup

Regards

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Self-proclaimed Trackpoint Fan Club President
"Don't Panic" 
Wil Wheaton
Remember: Your Friend Wil Declares....
Please click "Kudos" for Ego Boost !!

Trenkov
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,383
Message 3 of 14

When my bios got corrupted because of unexpected shutdown (maybe overheat) I had a google research too. I've done many bios repairs over USB flash on other brands notebooks, always success. But on E555 is more like a miracle to happen.

As I already wroted in this post, after the UEFI BIOS got corrupted notebook is not booting bios at all. When hit power button nothing happens, just power light on and fan turns on. First I've tried to do cmos reset the bios (removing the main battery, removing the cmos battery, hang up power button for 30-40 seconds and then plug back all in and start). Same situation.

After that I've tried with downloading the BIOS update utility on a working pc, install it and save the bios file (which is .fl1 extension) to a flash drive and rename it to BIOS.fl1; BIOS,ROM; BIOS.CAP; BIOS.BIN and try to recovery boot the flash on the E555, which I've done by putting the USB Flash drive, press and hold fn + R combination and without releasing it, push and hold power button for a few seconds. Then the LED of the USB drive starts to flash (notebook reads from USB for recovery), but only for a few seconds, then stops. So my suggestion was that the file is wrong and it cannot boot from it.

Then I've tried to do recovery with BIOS Update Bootable CD, but no luck, notebook only reads from usb with the key combination.

Then I've made the WINCRISIS method which works on older Lenovos. Renamed .fl1 file to a .wph extension, but still no luck.

Then I've made a research for the .fl1 extension. If I understood things right, .fl1 extension is somehow compressed format of BIOS, not pure Binary file, like ROM or BIN format.

So the next thing for me was to try to decompress it, so I can have the pure binary file. I've tryed UEFITool (which by the way is great tool), but it can done the job if you have an intel chipset Lenovo. Mine's AMD.

Finally I think that I've found pure binary BIOS file (*.bin) which is exactly 8MB.

Tried again to boot it with WINCRISIS USB, no success again.

Tried to boot it from a formatted usb drive on FAT with name BIOS.ROM; BIOS.CAP and BIOS.BIN, but again no success. Again it only reads from usb drive for a few seconds and stops.

Meanwhile I've ordered a USB EEPROM programator and I'm waiting for it, so I can communicate to the BIOS chip (which is WINBOND 25Q64FV) directly without using the notebook.

Notebook is not under warranty anymore.

I've contacted Lenovo support in my Country and they have told me that I have to replace my mainboard, what a great support, don't you think ?

It will be nice if someone gives me any suggestions and tips, while I'm waiting the eeprom programator to come.

I will be very thankfull if someone provide me the binary UEFI BIOS file for E555 (you can make that one with a software and running E555).

And why someone is deleting my comments ?

Mod's Comment: your post wasn't deleted.  It was auto removed by the forum's Spam Filter due to the number of edits you performed on it.  That editing triggered the filter into believing you were spamming the forum and quarantine your post.  Sorry for the confusion.

Trenkov
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,306
Message 4 of 14

Update:

EEPROM programator arrived today.

I was able to read the bios chip using the programator, also to erase and rewrite it and it worked. My E555 is back from the hell.

Thank you Lenovo for making recovery of bios so hard and stupid and thank you support for providing me an extra info about the problem I’ve had.

Trenkov
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,298
Message 5 of 14

To help other people, who are suffering like me, I will provide the full solution about the recovery of corrupted BIOS on Lenovo E555 / E455:

1. You need to buy a CH341a EEPROM programmer, which costs about 2 US dollars.

2. You need to install CH341a drivers and software on a running pc/notebook.

3. You need to verify that Programmer is recognized by the computer. Put the programmer on usb port on the working pc, run CH341a software and see the bottom right corner.

4. You need some solder skills to solder wires from your bios chip (or desolder it from mainboard) and connect it to the CH341a Programmer (see picture)

5. Attach your bios chip to programmer with soldering wires pin by pin (8 wires, 8 pins), or desolder it from mainoard and attach it directly to the programator. Plug the programator in the USB port of the working pc.

6. Select your Bios Chip manufacturer and model (for the E555, chip is Winbond W25Q64FV), click on "Read" button in the CH341a software. If you wired it correctly it should take some time to read it (a few minutes). If program gives an error about not finding the chip, please check your wiring and position of the chip pins. You may found this video for usefull (it helped me) .

7. Download the pure BIN file, I will provide the link to the bin soon.

8. Erase your bios chip using the CH341a Software. You don't need to save your current bios, because it's corrupted/Broken.

9. Open the downloaded BIN file in CH341a Software and Hit Program/Write button (depends on which version of CH341a you installed). Wait to program to finish and verify the file that you have uploaded to the chip.

10. Unsolder wires from the BIOS chip (or solder the chip to its place on motherboard, if you hooked it up directly to the CH341a).

11. Attach all connectors from your E555 to the motherboard with installed fresh bios, plug charger in charging port and hit power button of your E555. It should start in a few seconds.

dcbbleo
Punch Card
Views: 1,279
Message 6 of 14

Amazing! Nice work! Sorry for the trouble you had to endure.

Hopefully I'll never have to do this. However, it's nice to know there is a hardware recovery option I can ask someone with electronics skills to do for me if it ever happens.

Guru
Views: 1,259
Message 7 of 14

Great work Trenkov.

I will copy your documentation on Thinkwiki.org.

Regards

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
"Don't Panic" 
Wil Wheaton

Guru
Views: 1,254
Message 8 of 14

Hi again,

Can you please provide the link to the bin file you used?

Any other pictures on how the programmer cables are attached are also welcome.

Regards

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
"Don't Panic" 
Wil Wheaton

Trenkov
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,247
Message 9 of 14

Here are some extra photos that I've taken. The orientation of the attached chip to programmer MUST be like shown on the printed PCB of CH341a programmer on bottom left. Chip should be positioned on 25XX place. The marked dot on printed PCB shows where should be pin #1, which is also marked with dot on the bios chip Winbond.

I will provide the link to the BIN file after 17th November, because I had already paid for a new programmed BIOS chip, but seller didn't shipped my order. I should wait until 17-th before I can start refund procedure, so I want to limit his chances to send me the order that I've paid. In other words I don't want to pay money to a person, which can use my Solution and the file that I've found.

Some people asked me why I didn't desoldered the chip using hot air gun and then reprogram it. I will explain:

1. Bios chip is soldered and glued with a silicone. If you want to desolder it, you should first remove that silicone, which is not so fast procedure.

2. When you use hot air gun, you transfer extra unnecessary heat to the chip and also to other components on the mainboard. There's always risk of damaging an element, even if you isolate the board with hot resisting tape.

3. If you desolder it, you should solder it to ch341a programmer, then after reprogramming you should desolder it and again you should solder it to mainboard. Every solder/desolder with hot air gun stress the chip and the chance of damage of course goes bigger.

Trenkov
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,190
Message 10 of 14

As I promised, I'm providing you the link to the ROM BIOS FILE for E555. Don't forget to say THANK YOU to the uploader, because he saved you money.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors