Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
YarraYarra
What's DOS?
Views: 7,828
Message 1 of 8

Lenovo E560 won't start after BIOS update

Finally gave into the Lenovo nagging and updated the BIOS on my E560 - big mistake.

It went through and installed fine, no issues with failures, etc (well none that appeared on the screen).

The laptop restarted fine, it went through and updated the BIOS, restarted one final time and ...... nothing.

At present I have popped the battery and the power, reset the unit (press pwr button for 15sec etc), removed all peripherals, etc, etc, googled for similar happenings and so no matter what I have done, the laptop is as dead as a brick. I have the small red power light on but that's about it. Nothing appears on the screen (so can't see UEFI/BIOS), no fans start and about the only thing that does work is the DVD drive can be opened.

It's a relatively new laptop (less than 12 months old so still under warranty) but as a word of caution to other E560 owners - DO NOT INSTALL THE LATEST BIOS UPDATE.

Well no unless you want an expensive paper-weight for your desk.

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 7,760
Message 2 of 8

Re: Lenovo E560 won't start after BIOS update

Sorry to hear that the BIOS update wents south.  

Lenovo BIOS updates seem to be notorious for bricking systems, which is why I do not ever apply their BIOS updates unless there is a specific fix in the BIOS update that Lenovo support advises me must be installed, and the system is still under warranty so they will be covering the cost of repair/replacement if it fails.

Best of luck,

YarraYarra
What's DOS?
Views: 7,791
Message 3 of 8

Managed to get it all sorted (thx to Lenovo support).

Popping the battery and AC, then removing and reseating the CMOS battery brought the laptop back to life.

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 7,750
Message 4 of 8

Good to hear, you should mark your fix as a solution so that others can see what you did.

Cheers,

sclexman
Bit Torrent
Views: 7,744
Message 5 of 8

This 4 second note:

https://forums.https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-11e-Windows-E-and-Edge/E560-BIOS-update-freeze/...

Glad Support center got you up and running.

I would avoid the windows platform self update and use the .ISO,  if you really want/need this update, ie,ref JD above .   A bricked boot is MISERY for anyone, under warranty or not.

==

I could have posted the above link hours ago, but Amy_Lenovo and Think engineering did not offer a solution to the Bricked E560 Bios update.

Former Employee
Views: 7,524
Message 6 of 8

YarraYarra,

Which BIOS version did this occur with?

Thank you,

JUANETE
Paper Tape
Views: 6,456
Message 7 of 8

hi whay the lenovo wont unlock all feature in their laptops in the bios???,i dont understand ,are many users who want to overclock their laptops change wirels card etc. come on lenovo do somethig with this ,i think i wil not buy the lenovo laptops anymore because is not full unlocked

JakPac
What's DOS?
Views: 2,008
Message 8 of 8

Hi Dear.

Please how to do " reseating the CMOS battery"?

I'm a Ubuntu user. After update my Lenovo e560 to the new last bios update he die.

Thank you in advance!!!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors