Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tauseef
Paper Tape
Views: 944
Message 1 of 10

Lenovo Thinkpad Edge E540 Windows Installation

Hi,

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad Edge E540 and I am trying to reinstall windows. actually I have had a problem with its harddisk so i replaced it with the new one. Now whenever I try to install windows 8 from iso image burned on a usb stick, the installation setup asks me the license key in the very beginning and since i dont have any license key as it is embedded in the bios/motherboard of my laptop, i cannot proceed with the installation any further. Does anybody know how can i get the license key out of my bios/motherboard so that i can proceed with the windows installation.

My laptop originally had a windows 8 pro pre-installed.

Thanks in advance

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 937
Message 2 of 10

Re: Lenovo Thinkpad Edge E540 Windows Installation

Hello and welcome,

Is there a "skip" option @ the bottom of the screen that asks for a key?

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

Tauseef
Paper Tape
Views: 935
Message 3 of 10

unfortunately not
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 929
Message 4 of 10

Hmmm,  are you installing pro?  (The same version that was originally on the machine)

Sorry to play 20 questions - I don't have a good answer for you Smiley Sad

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

Tauseef
Paper Tape
Views: 927
Message 5 of 10

Is there any special kind of Windows 8 version (OEM etc.) that I should use for installation or can I use normal Windows 8 pro iso as well ? Actually the iso image of windows that i am using is the one that i bought some time back from microsoft and with a license key but i have used that license key already with my desktop. now I just have a Windows 8 iso image and I thought that as the license is embedded into the bios of my thinkpad E540 so it should work and should not ask me any license.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 920
Message 6 of 10

I don't have much experience with Win 8 but I'd expect it to activate automatically as long as you're installing the same version (pro or std) that was originally licensed.

Dowloadable here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

Z.

Tauseef
Paper Tape
Views: 917
Message 7 of 10

but this is windows 8.1 ?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 914
Message 8 of 10

@Tauseef wrote:

but this is windows 8.1 ?

Should be OK.  But again, I'm a little short on experience.

Z.

Skillzore
Paper Tape
Views: 905
Message 9 of 10

Just google up a generic win 8 key. There is a bunch out there that Microsoft has supplied. You can use it to install but not to activate, after that Windows should activate itself within a couple of days.

Edit: here is a link with some generic keys, use one of them: http://superuser.com/questions/749414/windows-8-placeholder-keys

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 884
Message 10 of 10

I've checked my notes: testing on a T450s licensed for Win 8.1 Pro.,  Trying to install 8.1 STD (downloaded) it asks for a key.  Installing a downloaded 8.1 Pro it doesn't ask for a key.

For the record,

Z.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors