Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
son0fhobs
Blue Screen Again
Views: 141,572
Message 1 of 7

Lenovo Thinkpad Edge Touchpad - Not working

So there's a huge thread, set to sticky as many people have had trouble with their touchpads turning off, quite randomly at that.  It's a wonder Lenovo hasn't got the point and fixed it yet.  Anyway, NONE of the solutions worked for me.  Except one guy mentioned something, and I realized he was completely right!.

What I did try:

• Turn on and off the touchpad to reset it.
  • Install a new Synaptics Touchpad driver.
  • Write customer support.
  • Did a little chant, dance, and jig.

No luck

What Worked

I relized that it was hardware, and the guy had mentioned how he had a loose connection.  When I press down pretty hard on the mouspad, and/or keyboard, it generally starts working again. (with full palm for most surface area, as I'm still not quite sure exactly where that point of contact is).  I took apart my laptop, and didn't have much luck fixing it.  Partly because I wasn't able to easily access the connection between the touchpad and motherboard (I'm using the edge e420.  On my r52, that connnection was easy to access.)  And I couldn't confirm that the connection between the keyboard and motherboard was entirely unrelated. 

Anyway, I need to look at the manuals and figure out how to get to that connection, but for now, pressing down on the touchpad/keyboard does the trick. 

"What it comes to computers, anything its possible.  It's just a matter of how."

LA-woman
Paper Tape
Views: 141,106
Message 2 of 7

Re: Lenovo Thinkpad Edge Touchpad - Not working

I feel like my head is going to explode.  I've searched the forum and read what seems like hundreds of complaints about the touchpad not working on the Thinkpad Edge.  I've had my Thinkpad E420 for a week and the touchpad does not work but the pointer device does . . .  I don't mind updating or installing . . . whatever. . . . but it seems that this had been unsuccessful most of the time.  I'm a 50-something year old woman who is fairly computer-savvy (so I thought).  I researched laptops for two months before I bought -- came down to the Lenovo and Toshiba.  I picked the Lenovo b/c of what I hoped would be good durability. 

My hubby said take it back to the store (I have about a week left to do this).  He is an HP computer-person (I don't care for HP).  All things considered, if I could have afforded it,  I would have bought a Mac  Smiley Surprised

Is there anything new with this problem or am I'm just going to fall into the same rabbit hole as everyone else?  Thx.

son0fhobs
Blue Screen Again
Views: 141,095
Message 3 of 7

If you've tried the whole, press down really hard on the keyboard/touchpad with no success, ya, just return it.  I'd just get the same laptop model, just a new one, personally anyway.

Agreed I did a fair amount of research and absolutely love my computer!  (except for that one quirk).

I opened mine up, and getting to the keyboard connector was easy enough, but the connection between the touchpad and motherboard was another story, so I just put it back together, and keep pressing really hard on the keyboard *eye roll*

LA-woman
Paper Tape
Views: 141,088
Message 4 of 7

Thanks soh.  The more I played around with the computer last night, the more I liked it.  I need the keyboard for my short, chubby fingers . . . and, I just really like it.  Hubby wanted me to take it back and try another one too.  Just needed another opinion. 

bansionglim
What's DOS?
Views: 133,226
Message 5 of 7

underwhelmed
Blue Screen Again
Views: 94,170
Message 6 of 7

This post helped me.  I had the same problem on my lenovo yoga S1. I had to press very hard to get a response, but sure enough it did respond.  This saved me, for now,  sending my machine in for service for the second time in two months.  I opened it up, removed the one battery screw, and found the touch pad ribbon cable easily accessible.  I pushed both ends in a bit, the end on the MB did seem wiggly.  Actually though, it's not clear if this was the problem or that pushing on the touchpad should have affected this.  It might be that poking around engaged a loose connection elsewhere but that might still be loose and fail again soon.  For now though it's working again.

As my username suggests I'm underwhelmed.  I had this machine a week before the screen bezel came loose and the screen connection did as well and one of the keys came up.  After lenovo stalled they eventually said I was a day late for return (even though it was exactly 21 days even then)  and then did a lousy (week long) repair job, leaving the case not snapped on well.  The hinge now makes a clunk sound half the time when folding it, screen bezel is still somewhat loose, and aparently they didn't connect something well on the touchpad. I like the machine otherwise quite well, but, my last HP survived 6 years and even took one crack (that was my fault) and still no problems other than one fan eventually going bad and that was field-serviced for about $50 total out of warranty.  Maybe lenovo is living on an historic reputataion now, or is it just my bad luck?

underwhelmed
Blue Screen Again
Views: 94,129
Message 7 of 7

Well, it only took a day for the problem to come back.  It seems to be possibly related to whatever mechanism disables the touchpad and trackpoint in the tablet mode.  Maybe pressing hard has an affect on that switch.  Reinstalling drivers did seem to help for a little while but was probably unrelated because the problem came back.  What a piece of junk machine.  There's no point in buying a laptop if you need to keep all your work on a second one for when it isn't working.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors