cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jwallace254
Paper Tape
Views: 2,151
Message 1 of 9

Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga 11e missing I2C driver. Drivers from lenovo website not working.

I recieved my Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga 11e a couple of days ago and it came with a lot of bloatware, or at least what I thought was. I started uninstalling a lot and everything seemed to work fine. I restarted it, but when it came back, I noticed the touch screen would not work. I went into the Device Manager and realized that one of my I2C drivers had the triangle with the exclamation was on one of them. After trial and error, I realized that disabling and re-enabling the driver would allow my touch screen to work. After a restart, however, I was back to square one. My wife bought her the same Lenovo Yoga and I have been compairing the two. I just noticed that I am missing the I2C controllers in the System Devices in the Device Manager as well. I have tried booting from an installation from hers and even copying the drivers and System32 folder to no avail. If anybody has any solutions, please help. I have tried everything I knew and everything I could find.

Thanks in advance.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,121
Message 2 of 9

Re: Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga 11e missing I2C driver. Drivers from lenovo website not working.

Hello and welcome,

What happens when you install the i2c driver for your machine?  Before doing so please verify the machine type (20D9, 20DA) as there's another machine type option available.  Downloads found by using SUPPORT above and entering Yoga 11e.

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/Laptops-and-netbooks/ThinkPad-Yoga-Series-laptops/ThinkPad-...

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

jwallace254
Paper Tape
Views: 2,119
Message 3 of 9

Re: Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga 11e missing I2C driver. Drivers from lenovo website not working.

UPDATE: I was able to get the I2C drivers to show back up. Not sure exactly what I did to fix it. I believe the last thing I did to get them back was to change one of the devices in the Human Interface Devices section to browse for the driver manually and select Microsoft and find the I2C driver from there. Now I am having the infamous 'Touchscreen won't start after a restart' issue. Any suggestions?

jwallace254
Paper Tape
Views: 2,115
Message 4 of 9

Thank you for replying. I can't tell you how many times I have tried that driver. That was also the confusion I was having about the size of the download. It says that it should be up to 300+ megabytes, but when you download it, it is ony kilobytes. I even resorted to downloading the 8.1 download just to see if they would work, but its the same deal. I figured it must have been a typo. But when it downloads and I install it, it didn't seem to effect it other than adding the folder. One article suggested right-clicking a file and choosing to install it manually. Still nothing.

Now my issue is that once I restart the computer, the touch screen won't be on by default. I have to go into the device manager, disable the I2C with the exclamation point, and then re-enable it. Not sure why it won't install the drivers for it now, but this is a quick fix for me at the moment. Just wish I could sign in via touchscreen.

Thanks again!

jwallace254
Paper Tape
Views: 2,092
Message 5 of 9

It is the 20D9 model
spriley92
Paper Tape
Views: 2,071
Message 6 of 9

What has worked for me in the past to get this resolved is to go into device manager, uninstall a couple of drivers related to the touchscreen (The four I have issues with anyway are the two GPIO drivers and the I2C drivers) I check the box that says delete the driver software for this device. Restart the laptop, make sure they are still showing uninstalled once it reboots (if they aren't then windows just put the same bad driver in for you and you may need to unsinstall again, make sure to check the box i mentioned above), download both sets of drivers, extract them (i.e. run the program) then go in and tell the driver to update, browse my computer for driver software, and point to the folder they just extracted to. Lenovo by defult usually make a folder called drivers on your c: drive. Then just click next and it should find it in that folder. I have fixed a few hundred with the same issue like this. I work for a school and we have like 1,000 of these. I have only fixed it a few times on windows 10 we are still primarily on 8.1 but it worked the few times I tried on windows 10 as well. 

jwallace254
Paper Tape
Views: 2,067
Message 7 of 9

Thanks for the input. I seemed to  have  fixed the issue. My guess is, like you said, delete the driver and software and let windows work its magic. After a day of letting it update to the latest Win 10 update (10586.122) it seemed to reslove itself. I also work with  hundreds of these same Yogas as I am a computer tech for a school district. Thankfully, our image  gets rid of the bloatware from lenovo and keeps the touch screens active or else I am sure we would have tons of calls about this.

Noww my issue seemms  to bbe that my keyboarrd seems  to typee extra letteers whhen I type. Without editing or very sharp key presses, it comes  out like thiis. Not surre iif it is the windows ten recentt update  that did thiis oor what, bbut I  am about to o resttarrt my  computter now and see if it fiixess itself.

Thanks again!!!

jwallace254
Paper Tape
Views: 2,063
Message 8 of 9

Everything seems to be in order after that restart. Sometimes, a good restart is all that is needed. I usually just put my computer to sleep or in hibernate and after about two days do a shutdown. 

*Sidenote* I haven't brought this up to my teachers or anything, but if they prefer the old start screen like on 7, try out the Classic Shell start menu. I use it on all my personal devices, 8.1 and 10 and I love it. It gives you the option to go to the start screen that comes with the OS as well at the top of it. Just a tid bit, one tech to another.

spriley92
Paper Tape
Views: 2,060
Message 9 of 9

I agree with you on classic shell. We have it on all of our 8.1 devices and no one even complained about changing from 7! Well most didn't lol

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors