cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TheGh0st
Paper Tape
Views: 3,779
Message 1 of 6

Lenovo e520 - Switchable Graphics Problem - Low Battery when using integrated graphics only

Hey Guys, i got an new Lenovo Edge e520 with a switchable graphic solution using Intel HD3000 and ATI HD 6630M. When I activate both graphic cards in bios, all runs well on Windows. The Lenovo Power Manager displays a battery running time of around 5 hours. When I disable the switchable graphics in bios and set integrated graphics only, the battery running time on windows drops to 2,45 hours. But how can that be ? It's only using the low power integrated device ? Before you ask the question, yes need the only integrated graphics solution for Linux, where switchable graphics do not work.
farfadet
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,745
Message 2 of 6

Re: Lenovo e520 - Switchable Graphics Problem - Low Battery when using integrated graphics only

Hi,

Me and a few other owners of an edge 520 have an issue with switchable graphics. In our case, the ATI card doesn't work, even with BIOS on switchable graphics. See thread :

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-Edge/ATI-GPU-doesn-t-work-on-E520/td-p/448523

I don't know if this is related to your problem. Are you sure that the ATI is active when you set switchable graphics on ? Did you test it on a demanding 3D application ? Do you have switchable graphics as an option in the menu of the power management icon in the icon bar ?

From your experience and ours, it is as if the BIOS settings switchable/integrated have been switched !

farfadet
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,743
Message 3 of 6

Re: Lenovo e520 - Switchable Graphics Problem - Low Battery when using integrated graphics only

Well, I tried BIOS on integrated graphics. First, on startup, it installed a graphics driver and I got a message such as : AMD driver not found (ignored it). Restarted. Now I get a FPS of 85 on Video Card Stability test ! With BIOS on switchable graphics, I got about 20 fps. So, at first sight, the BIOS settings integrated/switchable are simply switched. Look at the other thread for details.

omcinside
Punch Card
Views: 1,631
Message 4 of 6

even I have same problem , but while using Linux  OS , battery back for W7 is 4 hours , Battery backup of Linux is reduce to 2 hours, proproitery drivers are not working fine. Is it possible to change ATI redeon 6630m graphic hardware to nvidea ?

cviclark
SCSI Port
Views: 1,572
Message 5 of 6

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonmob_win7-64.aspx) Use this link to get the 13.2 beta driver from AMD.  works well untill you reboot . its a  lenovo problem that also exised in win 7 pro . I Also have the batterry problem since going to win 8.  The lenovo Power manager loads but I have no indication that its working. 

cviclark
SCSI Port
Views: 1,533
Message 6 of 6

Check you have Bluetooth turned off If not battery is a problem

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors