Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jcastagneri
Paper Tape
Views: 19,068
Message 1 of 30

Lenovo e545 thinkpad edge absurdly slow wireless download speed

I have a brand new Lenovo Thinkpad Edge e545 with download speeds in the 0.15 mbs range. Ethernet gives it about 30 mbps. No, it is not my router--other lenovo laptop wifi connections are perfectly normal for my broadband at 25 mbps. It is windows 8.1 fully updated. I tried to find drivers and downloaded the supposedly correct wireless LAN driver, but no success. Sometimes when started plugged in to battery power or just after being plugged in to ethernet it has high wifi download speed. 

Also the webcam is not showing picture, which driver should I download? And I am getting an audio driver fail notice.

This is a brand new laptop, and Lenovo is quickly losing a loyalty. The only way they would help me on their renowned customer service site is if I paid $99.99. Any info is appreciated.

braduenyo
What's DOS?
Views: 18,967
Message 2 of 30

Re: Lenovo e545 thinkpad edge absurdly slow wireless download speed

I am having the exact same problem with the wireless internet. A system reboot seems to fix the problem temporarily, but over time the performance degrades. I am using a 64-bit Windows 7 OS. Let me know if you find anything out!

tamie
Paper Tape
Views: 18,941
Message 3 of 30

If ya'll figure it out let me know, I can sit right next to the other Lenovo, older by the way, and I pay for the extreme internet Time Warner 50 mbps because I work from home.

This brand new E545 with Windows 7 Professional and all the up to date drivers can get 3.96 mbps to maybe 35 mbps on a good day. The one next to me that is about a year old will go anywhere from 40 to 57 mpbs ALL the time.

At my wits end. 

I can't figure out how to change the Wireless Network Connection Speed from 72.0 to  144.0 mbps and that's the only difference after comparing just about every freaking setting, anyone know how to change that?

Thanks

Tamie

sgegreen
802.11n
Views: 18,914
Message 4 of 30

I have two friends with Edge E535 laptops which use the same wireless card as the E545.

The BCM43142 combined WiFi and Bluetooth card is reported as 1x1 11b/g/n Wireless LAN PCI Express Half Mini Card Adapter, in other words it can only use a single channel (sometimes called a spatial stream) for transmit and receive.

This will limit the transmit and receive speeds and also means that wireless reception won't be as good under difficult conditions as cards using two channels for transmit and receive (2x2).

The latest driver version for Windows 7 & 8 is 6.30.223.201, which 'Improves wlan intermittent disconnected issue in BCM43142 WLAN card' but also 'Removes Windows 8.1 support from this package'

Hopefully Broadcom and Lenovo will make these later drivers compatible with Windows 8.1.

Also, Microsoft's Windows 8.1 Bluetooth driver for this card is version 12.0.0.7820 whereas Lenovo's version is 12.0.0.6000.

You may wish to try both drivers to see which gives the best result on the E545...

bluman22
What's DOS?
Views: 18,734
Message 5 of 30

fought with this for days -- old laptop ran fine on home wifi and wired LAN, new E545 was unbearable -- couldn't even run some speed tests, or ranked at less than 1MB.

Lenovo support told me it was an easy configuration fix, but only if I paid for a year of support @ $20/mo, or $70 for one-time fix.  "It will be like having your own personal support tech", I was informed.  "I am my own personal support tech" I replied (I have 20 years in IT).  If it was such a simple fix, why couldn't Level 1 handle it, I asked?  Request to talk to manager was never fulfilled.  No way am I paying that to someone who says it is easy but who then won't help on a PC that is in its first week

I also was not confident that they wouldn't have me wipe the drive anyway -- there was nothing showing in Task Manager, etc. that would have caused the slowdown, and no honest company should be sending out misconfigured product.  I can revert to factory install w/o their help.

For me, in the end it was the bluetooth adapter I had plugged in (my model didn't come w/ bluetooth).  THe adapter works perfectly in my older HP, but clearly Lenovo has something screwed up with their bluetooth setup in this machine (and probably others).  There is no way bluetooth should have such a dramatic effect on how a PC performs -- unless Lenovo is trying to ensure there is big problem with an easy fix that drives customers to paid support. 

cd23
What's DOS?
Views: 18,659
Message 6 of 30

Hey guys, I just got this thinkpad edge 2 days ago (using Windows 7 OS) and immediately am having this problem with absurdly slow wireless internet use. Was anyone able to fix this problem or could tell me what I need to do to try and fix it? Would be greatly asppreciated as I'm not an IT guy by any stretch of the imagination. Thanks!

burbridgeb
Blue Screen Again
Views: 18,634
Message 7 of 30

I had the E545 with the ridiculously slow wireless too.  I found a solution at this post for another Lenovo model:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaCentre-Desktops-Home-Servers/Is-your-K-model-desktop-internet-or-dow...

I believe my E545 shipped with a driver installed for the RTL8188EE instead of for the RTL8188E, which is the actual adapter.  Not much of a difference between "E" and "EE" in name, but it must have made a difference in performance.

Oddly, neither the Realtek driver download site nor the Lenovo driver download site listed a driver for the RTL8188E (at least not that I found when searching for the right driver).  Both sites list other RTL8188 versions... the CE, the EE, the US... My E545 had driver version 2007.8.201.2013, which is the most current driver for RTL8188EE.  

When I went to Driver Scape (www.driverscape.com ), however, I found a driver for the RTL8188E that was version 2012.7.1231.2013.  When I installed the driver, it actually changed the name of my wireless adapter in Device Manager from"Realtek RTL8188E Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC" to "1x1 11b/g/n Wireless LAN PCI Express Half Mini Card Adapter."

All my speeds when on wireless are where they should be now.

cd23
What's DOS?
Views: 18,630
Message 8 of 30

I will check this out thank you for the response.

braduenyo
What's DOS?
Views: 18,401
Message 9 of 30

I tried the 2012.7.1231.2013 driver and it fixed the problem. Good to go!
sketchpad
Fanfold Paper
Views: 18,313
Message 10 of 30

can you provide a link to that driver please, its not on the lenovo site

Top Kudoed Authors