Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
MC127
Blue Screen Again
Views: 6,174
Message 1 of 9

M.2 ssd for lenovo thinkpad edge E580 - Where is the m.2 cover!

Hi all,

I have just purchased a ThinkPad E580 with a hard drive, which I want to supplement with a Samsung 512GB M.2 PCI-E SSD. The technical manual shows a cover that you need to unscrew to remove the SSD but if you order the laptop without an SSD, it won't come with that cover.

Screen Shot 2018-05-04 at 09.09.01.pngM.2 Cover for SSD on E580

Does anyone know where I can get an M.2 SSD cover from, as shown in the manual because so far no-one from Lenovo or their spare parts suppliers in the UK can help me. If I can't buy one, it's go back to Lenovo...

Thanks 

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 6,169
Message 2 of 9

Re: M.2 ssd for lenovo thinkpad edge E580 - Where is the m.2 cover!

I believe that the parts you are looking for are the ones below gleaned from the E580 parts list under Misc. Internals.   

Note: More photos of the part are available at the part list link.

BTW, I would select the option to download the parts list and save it, because they usually disappear from the Lenovo site over time and it might come in handy down the road.

Description:Jinn E580 intel FRU EE580_M2_2242_BRK_ASSY
Part Number:01LW427

Unfortunately Lenovo Encompass Parts shows it out of stock (60 days out), but you might try searching the web for it using the part number  or description and see if you can locate one in your region..   I see a used one listed at https://www.impactcomputers.com/01lw427.html, but details are sketchy on what is included etc.

Lenovo Encompass Parts

https://lenovo.encompass.com/item/11587643/Lenovo/01LW427/Fru_Ee580m22242brkassembly

Best of luck,

MC127
Blue Screen Again
Views: 6,143
Message 3 of 9

Perfect! Thanks very much. 

I can buy the part from https://flexcommunityesales.force.com/LenovoEsales although it turns out they haven't got the part in their database so need to add it before I can order it online, but it can be ordered by email in the meantime.

Cost is £15 but there is a £15 charge for delivery (ouch!) and a lead time of 9 weeks!!

I'm now wondering if I even need the cover as it looks like the SSD just slots in and is secured with a screw at the end. You can buy M.2 SSD covers on ebay but there are also threads warning that covers can actually result in the SSD overheating

okGo
Paper Tape
Views: 5,886
Message 4 of 9

Hi, I'm having the same issue as you and I was wondering if you ordered a m.2 cover or not. Was it necessary in order to install the m.2 SSD?

Thank you

MC127
Blue Screen Again
Views: 5,883
Message 5 of 9

I came very close to buying the cover after finally determining the part number and supplier (flex.com)

Part

Alt Part

Description

CUR

Stock

On Order

Price

Comment

01LW427

Jinn E580 intel FRU EE580_M2_2

GBP

9 week lead time

Link to our website is as follows: https://flexcommunityesales.force.com/LenovoEsales

Lenovo part look up link: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/partslookup

Lenovo models supported by Flex: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/pd100192

But delivery was an extotionate £15 and witha 9 week lead time, plus the part wasn't listed on thier internal order system so I was still unable to order until they got back to me after setting it up - they didn't get back to me and I subsequently read that covers can reduce airflow around the SSD so I decided just to use the existing screw to hold it in place as normal and forget about the cover. Been running it for a few weeks with no problems. Initial migration to new SSD caused some confusion as Lenovo had turned on bit locker without telling me so the Samsung migration wizard reported an error with nothing on the web to explain what the error code meant. Decrypting the drive by turning off bitlocker fixed that so one to be aware of

okGo
Paper Tape
Views: 5,874
Message 6 of 9

Thank you for your amazing feedback, that will come in handy! I think I'll give it a try with no cover. Also thank you for the Bitlocker warning, I'll check it out when installing the SSD. 

Eotnor
Paper Tape
Views: 5,205
Message 7 of 9

Can you please write, which 20ksXXXX model do you have ?

By your observation, do you think, that the cover is needed even for 2280-sized drives ?

Maybe not worth the trouble, but I am planning to go the road with 2,5drive variant followed by addition of some more performant NVMe drive (S. PM961 - as in T580 or S. Evo 970 ), so I know whether there are options other than waiting for that 01LW427 spare part.

Thanks for response

okGo
Paper Tape
Views: 5,200
Message 8 of 9

Hi, I own a 20KS004FS model. A month ago I installed a SSD Samsung EVO 970 250 GB and it's been running just fine since then. The laptop comes only with a screw to fix the SSD and in my opinion there's no need for buying a cover.

By the way, as the user MC127 has said before, just be aware of deactivating Windows Bitlocker protection if you're going going to clone the HDD into the new SSD.

dimpep
What's DOS?
Views: 3,906
Message 9 of 9

So, we don't actually need the cover to operate the M.2 SSD. And, what is its purpose then? Do all e580 come with m.2 slot?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors