Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Gunnarnorén
Paper Tape
Views: 2,156
Message 1 of 11

Need Help Installing a Printer on E520

Hello

Now I have been looking around at three evenings at least one hour esch time to find help about installnng a printer when my Thinkpad edge E520 does not find my downloaded drivers.

Where shall I look, forum, knowledgebas, blogs or support? Is it at any place some proffesionals answerin gor is it only thinkpad owners?

I wonder where I see this later ...

Best regards

Gunnar Norén

Former Employee
Views: 2,140
Message 2 of 11

Re: Need Help Installing a Printer on E520

Gunnarnoren,

Is it a network printer? Or is it a USB type ones? Also is there a installation CD which came with the printer? Appreciate if you can post the make and model of the printer so we can direct you to the printer's support site.

//JameZ
Gunnarnorén
Paper Tape
Views: 2,135
Message 3 of 11

Hello

It is a USB printer, a Konica Minolta 2480MF. Ok it is five years but still competative.

I may have done wrong from the beginning. i connected the USB-cable before installing the drivers. When installing drivers from Konica Minolta they will be downloaded but my computer do not find them and it is not possible to tell windows that they are at the computer. Windows look for them both att the computer and internet but do not find them.

Default the drivers end up in a catalogue called "konica Minolta" under program (86x). Is that right place?

I have tried to download them to SWTOOLS/Drivers also but no difference.

I have tried to erase the catalogue with the drivers. Download again and after that connect the USB cable. No difference.

I think I did the same with older drivers also (vista)

Windows do not recognice the printer as a printer, it says it is unknown but call it Konica Minolta 2480MF. When I follow the suggested actions it does not find the drivers.

Any tips?

Regards

Gunnar Norén

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,130
Message 4 of 11

http://printer.konicaminolta.com/products/PDFs/TG_2480MF_2490MF.pdf

What operating system are you running on your Edge?  Windows 7?   64bit?

It sounds like the drivers are for 32bit Windows seeing as how they were put in the x86 folder.

Page 12 shows the Operating systems that it says that the printer is compatible with.

The specs say that it is a Microsoft plug and play printer.  You might have to get rid of everything in your Edge that has to do with that printer and unplug the printer and reboot. Wait until everything loads back up and plug in the usb to the Edge.

See if Windows finds it.  If it does, it should install the driver for it.

Dave 

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
Gunnarnorén
Paper Tape
Views: 2,125
Message 5 of 11

Hello

I am running Win 7 home premium 64bit.

Is it impossible with only driver for 32bit?

I can now see that at Konica Minoltas download site there is no 64bit version for this printer, it is for the similar 2390 but that one does not work, I have tried that one too but the printer is not detected when I am asked to connect the usb cable.

The 2490 drivers will also land in the program x86 folder by the way.

Is there any way to run with 32b driver or must I ask Konica Minolta to make one.. :-)

Thanks anyway

Regards

Gunnar Norén

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,120
Message 6 of 11

http://onyxftp.mykonicaminolta.com/download/SearchResults.aspx?productid=978&filetypeid=0&osid=31

Hi 

Is this the driver you tried for the 2490MF?

Did you try getting rid of everything in your computer concerning the printer and let Windows try to install it?

On the support site, there's also a generic printer driver that's supposed to work with all their models of printers.

You do turn the printer on after you connect the usb cable, right?  Windows should at least detect the printer.  You might want to try a different usb cable, maybe the cable isn't making the proper connection.

I don't think that a 32bit driver will work in a 64bit OS.

Dave

PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
Gunnarnorén
Paper Tape
Views: 2,111
Message 7 of 11

Hi

Yes that is the one, but notice that I have a 2480 not the 2490. They are similar but the 2490 have a fax in it.

I thougt it should work by that reason but it did not. I tried again but windows want to detect a 2490 instead of mine 2480.

The cable is ok it works with my old PC (XP) and I can hear the sound when inserted. I have tried at least two times from scratch but windows do not find the driver either at internet nor at my PC. I have deleted the Konica Minolta catalouge between. I think it is as you think, that it does not work with a 32bit driver at a 64bit OS.

I have sent a mail to Konica Minolta and asked them to make a 64bit driver, let us see if they care :-)

Thanks a lot any way.

regards

Gunnar Norén in a snowing Sweden.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,103
Message 8 of 11

Hi,

Let me know if you hear anything.  Their support is here in the states.  I'll make a call to support for you on Monday and see what they say, ok?

Stay warm,

Dave

Gunnarnorén
Paper Tape
Views: 2,096
Message 9 of 11

Very good.

Thanks

Gunnar

Gunnarnorén
Paper Tape
Views: 2,062
Message 10 of 11

Hello again

The answer from the Swedish helpdesk for konicaMinolta was that there is no driver for the printer. And to my question if there wil be anyone maked i did not get any answer. You know there was one for the similar printer with telefax.

So I put the printer in my garage and went and bought another with similar functions, a brand new Canon 8030Cn, colour laser and feeder for the paper input. After that I spent more than 4 hours, excluded the 2 hours for buying, trying to get the printers scanning function to work. Canons support told me that the scanner did not work with the printer connected to the network I had to use the USB. After a lot of reinstallations, restarts etc. I called the support again, that time I had to wait for a while and then they told me that the printers scanning function does not work with win 7/64....

So now I have bought another printer without scanner, a Lexmark C540n that works. I have a separate scanner (a canon Lide 210 !) that works.

On top of that I spent a lot of hours on a seagate NAS (Go Flex Home 2TB) where the software never found the hard drive....

The last without no shadow over my ThinkPad but where did the Christmas holidays go?  :-)

At least I can enjoy my ThinkPad

Thanks anyway

from a grey haired man feeling more tired than I use to :-)

Gunnar Norén in Sweden

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors