Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
Message 1 of 7 (47,481 Views)

Partition on Cache-SSD / Configure ExpressCache

Hello!

My E330 has a 16GB Cache-SSD. I noticed that this disk contains two partitions (each ca.8GB) and ExpressCache uses only one of them. I assume the other partition is for the "Intel Rapid Start Technology", which I consider useless (for me) and disabled in the BIOS.

Now my question is, how can I configure ExpressCache so that it uses the whole 16GB SSD. Of course I know how to repartition the drive. What I don't know is if I have to 'shutdown' the ExpressCache software and reconfigure it, or if I have to completely uninstall/reinstall it.

Thanks for reading

--
Thinkpad Edge E330 (3354), i5-3210M, 12GB, HDD 750GB, SSD 256GB, Win8.1 64
Punch Card
Message 2 of 7 (47,465 Views)

Re: Partition on Cache-SSD / Configure ExpressCache

It shouldn't be too hard to expand the cache partiton.  Here's how I'd do it: (Assume all disclaimers and, of course, do lots of backups. AND, I did this on a w530, not an E330.)

Check out this thread: Thread: HOWTO: Configure a large (> 32GB) SSD to work with ExpressCache

In order to remove your hibernation partion, you need to use Diskpart to change that partion ID to 07 ("set id=07 override") and then you can remove it using windows "Disk Managment". You should make sure the the Rapid Start services are uninstalled and/or disabled before you remove the partion.

In order to expand the ExpressCache partition: stop the ExpressCache service> Using Diskpart, change the cache partion ID to 07>extend the partion to the new size you would like by using Disk Mangement> then, back to Diskpart and "set id=73 override" on the newly extended partion > restart the ExpressCache service.

When you run the command "eccmd -info" you should now see the reported cache is the size of the partition that you just manipulated.

All of that said, I really like using Rapid Start - it really speeds up resume from hibernation here. . .

Fanfold Paper
Message 3 of 7 (47,424 Views)

Hi,

thank you for your answer! It took me some time but finally I managed to reconfigure my system.

First some words about Rapid Start: even if I wanted to use it, I couldn't. I ordered a memory upgrade, so the partition (7.2GB) will then be too small for Rapid Start. (Btw. using only the supplied 4GB RAM there are 3GB wasted on the SSD which could support the Cache, instead.)

I thought there would be an easy way to change the ExpressCache configuration, but your post made me realize that it's not as simple as expected. Since I wanted to keep the GUID Partition Table (GPT) instead of MBR on the disk I couldn't follow your instruction exactly, but it was a great hint. Thanks again!

In case anybody here is interested, here's a short guide how I reconfigured my system.
Use it at your own risk. And be really sure you select the correct disk and partitions. (My SSD is disk 0)

The situation before:
- Disk uses GPT
- Partition 1: 8103MB for ExpressCache
- Partition 2: 7168MB for Rapid Start

The situation after:
- Disk still uses GPT
- 14GB partition for ExpressCache
- 1GB spare area.

1.) Disable Rapid Start in the BIOS and stop the ExpressCache service

2.) Start diskpart in a shell and select the SSD
diskpart> sel disk 0

3.) Clear the whole Cache-SSD
diskpart> clean
(Alternatively you can delete every partition manually with 'sel part x' and 'del part override')

4.) After the 'clean'-commmand, the disk is not a GPT-disk anymore, so change that:
diskpart> convert gpt

Now the disk contains a 32MB partition, the 'Microsoft Reserved Partition' (MSR). My original setup did not have such a partition, so it might be okay to delete it. But Microsoft says: "Every GPT disk must contain an MSRmsdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg463525.aspx . Maybe it's more secure to simply leave it as it is...

5.) Now let ExpressCache create its partition itself. In a second shell:
> ECCmd.exe -partition 0 14200

This will create a 14200MB-partition on disk 0 and it sets the correct partition GUID. 1GB remains unused as spare area on the SSD.

6.) Change the partition attribute with diskpart (after selecting the new 14GB partition). I'm not sure if this is necessary, but the original setup looked like this.
diskpart> gpt attributes=0x0000000000000001 (That's 15 zeros between the x and the 1)

7.) Start the ExpressCache service and you're finished!

--
Guru
Message 4 of 7 (47,365 Views)

Thank you both for your description of how to reconfigure the ExpressCache. I disabled the ExpressCache on my machine due to security concerns. However, I think this information will be helpful to many people.

X1 Carbon 3rd Gen Type 20BT i7-5500U, 2560x1440 (non-touch), Win 10 Pro, 8GB RAM, 512 SSD, Intel 7625 WiFi, BT 4.0 | ThinkVision P24q-10 monitor

------------------------------------------
When asking for help, post your question in the forum. Remember to include your system type, model number, and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help others with the same question in the future.
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 7 (34,853 Views)

Hi,

How were you able to disbale Rapid Start in the BIOS. I can"t seem to find this anywhere.

Thanks !

Fanfold Paper
Message 6 of 7 (34,698 Views)

[ Edited ]

Now that's really strange...

I just tried to figure out where the option is, but I can't find it, too :-( Then I thought that maybe that option doesn't show up if the required partition is missing, so I re-created it on the SSD. But still there's no option in the BIOS.

Since it's already a year ago I don't remember exactly where that option was, so I hope that someone else can solve this. (Is there an Advanced-BIOS that has to be enabled first?).

I hate such things...

--
Serial Port
Message 7 of 7 (27,330 Views)

THANK YOU kayphoonstar

IT took me 20 seconds from the cmd line after 10 or failed installs. I couldnt find that information anywhere.

As per that user post, un-install cache program first- install when your done after re-boot.

And for me i have a 24 so i did NOT set a drive size as default is to use the entire drive..

"The key here is to partition the mSATA with diskpart in an admin command prompt:

> diskpart
> select disk 0 (0 being my mSata)
> clean
> convert MBR
> create partition primary size=8192 (left mine at "create partition primary" and it used entire drive)
> set id=73 override
> exit

You can use diskmgmt.msc to format the rest of the space as NTFS if you want a nice little SSD file store.

Top kudoed Authors