cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BuddyPaddington
Paper Tape
Views: 948
Message 1 of 9

Planning to buy Edge 13 - WinXP anybody?

hi, a newbie here...was planning to buy the Edge 13 (AMD Turion L625).

i have a good impression about ThinkPads.....i once owned a ThinkPad 570 in the 90's.

many laptops have come and gone in my life......and now i'm planning to buy a ThinkPad again.

i'd like to know if I can install Windows XP on this kiddo.

From what I heard, the ATi drivers are outdated for WinXP.

I would also like to know about heat issues and battery life on WinXP.

Is anyone using the Edge 13 with WinXP right now ?

um...God bless good ol' IBM.
henk
Punch Card
Views: 916
Message 2 of 9

Re: Planning to buy Edge 13 - WinXP anybody?

What is the need for installing XP, only for nostalgic reasons?

BuddyPaddington
Paper Tape
Views: 906
Message 3 of 9

I think I have the freedom to install any operating system I wish on my lappy, don't I ? But anyway, thank you for going through my post, though your reply doesn't seem to have answered my query at all ! I would have considered it wise if you had taken the trouble to pen down any experience you may have had with WinXP on the Edge 13, instead of exhibiting your usual Brabant ignorance.
henk
Punch Card
Views: 891
Message 4 of 9

I'm sorry if I have offended you with my Brabant ignorance.

I just was curious why someone would be so stupid to pay extra money (uplift to Windows 7 Professional in order to get XP downgrade rights) and then go through the extra effort of installing XP on an Edge 13 while Windows 7 is functioning perfectly fine.

Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 885
Message 5 of 9

Hi All,

thought I'd drop by and post an excerpt from the forum rules before posts start getting removed from this thread;

No personal attacks.

It is fair to state disagreement with facts or conclusions that another member has posted, but dissent must be expressed in an objective, and reasoned manner. Treat others with the respect you wish to receive. Remember that the community is here to share collective experiences and wisdom, with the goal of all members enjoying greater success with their Lenovo products. Consider whether your comments serve to advance the discussion in a positive direction.

So, let's please keep the discussion reasonable, if you don't have anything constructive to say then it's best to visit a thread where your contribution may be of more value / help to another member.

Thankyou in advance for your cooperation.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

iceheat
Paper Tape
Views: 873
Message 6 of 9

Installing an operating system on a machine wihtout a CD is possible, However it is a bit of technical challange especially for windows xp that does not support USB boot out of the Box.

Windows Vista was an unbearable slow non-operating system that helped the sales of linux and MacOS. However, windows 7 is almost as light as XP + loads of useful functions - BSOD. I would suggest that you have a go on that before dismissing. You can always download a copy and try it for 120 days before you make up your mind and I'm sure you would fall in love with it.

Regards

BuddyPaddington
Paper Tape
Views: 864
Message 7 of 9

Thank you for your reply.  Apparently, WinXP can be installed using Novicorp WinToFlash. I've already tested it on another netbook. Moreover, WinXP is blazing fast and gives better battery life than Win7, from what I have seen.  The base model of the Edge 13 comes without an operating system (at least in the blessed nation that I live). For now, it would be reasonable to install WinXP. I would certainly switch to Win7 after Service Pack 1 comes out.Smiley Wink

Ishbar
Punch Card
Views: 853
Message 8 of 9

I don't understand why you would want to downgrade your OS to XP, it's nearly a decade old. Support is just about cut too--for 32 BIT you're SOL. (I'm not sure as to what the RAM is on the Lenovo website...they do seem to short change their units in that department)

As OS's go, XP can be put on nearly any system. The downside not only is the time and effort you have to go through ensuring backwards compatibility in your drivers, but also an assumed understanding that XP can potentially harm the hardware when not certified for the OS.

If battery is a big deal then why not stick with Windows 7 OS, I highly doubt, as resource light as XP is, that it can efficiently run the hardware within the Edge 13, .e.g, benefits from multi core processing, power throttling (which the Edge does natively on 7), consistent performance, et all.

The biggest reason to stick with 7 (or opt in as you mentioned yours being bare) is that you can probably still get the Lenovo optimized Thinkvantage media suite to make Windows 7 even a better fit for the Edge to boot!

I myself own the Edge 14 and am greatly satisfied with the performance, albeit the HDD went after 3 weeks..., WHICH BRINGS ME TO ANOTHER POINT... about the battery (lol), you could also buy a larger cell Li-Ion, also upgrade the HDD to a SSD.

Why not try and work for putting OSX Snow Leopard on it?

Smiley Tongue

Because I would love to dual boot into that.

BuddyPaddington
Paper Tape
Views: 831
Message 9 of 9

It looks like some of you have turned my thread into an argument on what operating system should be installed on MY lappy.  All I wanted to know was how XP is performing on the Edge 13 and whether there are any driver issues. I have already taken a look at the drivers on IBM's support page for the Edge 13. But it looks like there are issues with non-availability of updated XP drivers for the ATi HD 3200 card. Are driver's from AMD's website compatible with this machine under Windows XP ?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors