Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veco359
Serial Port
Views: 1,688
Message 1 of 5

Question about Edge E550 CPU Support

Hello I want to buy Edge E550 and I don't kow if lenovo have in plan upgrade it with Quad Core i7 CPUs (Broadwell) when it come out or i7 5500U (two cores) is strongest CPU which E550 will get? What you think?

I Have this Lenovo Computers
1. Think Centre M58 from 2008 an it is still good (Intel Q9550, 8GB DDR3, Radeon 6970, Intel SSD)
2. ThinkPad E540
3 ThinkPad Tab 2 (with it I have many problems)
4. Lenovo Vibe Z2
Glatch
What's DOS?
Views: 1,525
Message 2 of 5

Re: Question about Edge E550 CPU Support

I had the same question, also will the GPU be upgraded? AMD Radeon R7 M260 is to little IMO
e550edge
What's DOS?
Views: 1,386
Message 3 of 5

I am also interested in weither or not the CPU and the GPU can be upgraded

I have this lapto the e550 with the AMD Radeon R7 M260 Graphics, and I want to know if it can be upgraded for the future.  

georgesgiralt
Token Ring
Views: 1,378
Message 4 of 5

Hello guys,

As the GPU on a laptop is soldered on the MotherBoard (Planar in IBM/Lenovo language) changing it requires that you change the MB and someone (Lenovo) makes this new MB....

As per the processor, I do not know it the sockets are compatible or not and if they will/can use the same chipset for the 2 and 4 cores CPU ...

So, IMHO, the possibility is  very very very remote you'll be able to make the switch....

Guru
Views: 1,371
Message 5 of 5

Just wait and see. Personally I think it will be too expensive for Lenovo, since Skylake is close to a release at the end of this year. But it might be possible we will see a T450p, T550p or W550 instead. In some publicly released roadmaps I noticed they didn't plan for this, because Intel never intended to release standard voltage Skylake mobile CPUs. So everything is a big question mark.

But I think the E540 might be able to support these Broadwell CPUs with a BIOS update. I am not sure. Just speculating considered the ThinkPad Yoga 15 supports both Haswell and Broadwell.

Note that I am just speculating, I don't know anything about the plans of Lenovo. This is just a guess.

Warm regards,
Jonas Hendrickx

Lenovo Insider - Windows Insider MVP

Personal website: ThinkScopes

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors