Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
h2s
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,441
Message 1 of 22

Realtek 8822BE slow (download) speeds and connection drops

I have a Thinkpad E595 which comes with a Realtek 8822BE Wifi card. But I'm having nothing but troubles with it trying to get a stable but fast connection.

I'm facing connection drops and slow (download) speeds. The network is a 100Mbps network, a speed which I can easily reach on other computers, including on a laptop from a different brand sitting next to my Lenovo conected to the same wifi network.

My Lenovo also achieves this speed when connected using cable.

But when connected over wifi I get high ping values and low speeds between 1Mbps - 30Mbps depending on the driver version.

I tried the driver from Lenovo: maxes out at around 30Mbps but frequent connection drops when downloading larger files

I also tried the driver from Microsoft Update: connection seems more stable but maxes out at 10 Mbps

I tried all available settings and suggestions found on the internet, but it makes no difference. Windows 10 is up-to-date (1903).

This is clearly a problem with the (driver of the) Realtek 8822BE card, as when searching the internet many users are having issues with the 8822BE (also in laptops from different brands) and so far no solution.

The only solution that seems to work is to replace the card with an Intel card, but that's not something I'm willing to do, unless it's a Lenovo initiated replacement (cost and warranty).

So here are my questions:

• Lenovo, is this a known issue and is a solution in the works? When will it be available?
  • Does anyone have any ideas on how to improve things in the meantime?

Regards

h2s
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,394
Message 2 of 22

Re: Realtek 8822BE slow (download) speeds and connection drops

I downloaded the latest Realtek driver from Microsoft Catalog (https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com), version 2024.0.10.202. This is not available on the Lenovo site.

While the actual download speed when downloading large files seems to be better with this version, it still maxes out at around 30Mbps.

It's really disappointing to see such a subpar wifi card in a Thinkpad...

cjlim
Paper Tape
Views: 1,292
Message 3 of 22

I have just bought the same machine E595 with realtek 8822BE, also searched the internet for solutions and updated the driver to the newest. seems to have less drop but still has drop issues occasionally, really frustrating,

Lenovo tech support only says if problem persists, they need to take the laptop in for them to check, if anything only replacing with the same type, not going to change for intel.

i think lenovo dont have a clue, even Realtek dont have a clue. their strategy is just keep taking it back and return it, until warranty wears off.

Such a pity that they dont see this as a problem, and they don't even want to help us upgrade the parts.

h2s
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,281
Message 4 of 22

Lenovo replaced my 8822BE with the exact same type.

As expected, the problem is the same with the new card. The 8822BE is just a bad product IMO.

cjlim
Paper Tape
Views: 1,223
Message 5 of 22

so did they take it back for more tests, or ask you to use their official driver from lenovo websites, which they claim is more stable and appropriate than the newest driver from microsoft.

Personally i think it has something to do with win 10 and the card, so it should be able to be fixed by drivers.

yurtesen1
Punch Card
Views: 1,213
Message 6 of 22

I have an E495 and I see the same problem. I bet Lenovo won't do anything. Because it is cheaper to take few laptops and send back to users until the users give up. Compared to changing all the wireless cards in all laptops they sold. Also this is not a safety issue like burning batteries etc.

Which is the truth... and it may persuade Lenovo to take action to reverse this news.

[Moderator Edited per forum rules.]

h2s
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,160
Message 7 of 22

@cjlim wrote:

so did they take it back for more tests, or ask you to use their official driver from lenovo websites, which they claim is more stable and appropriate than the newest driver from microsoft.

Personally i think it has something to do with win 10 and the card, so it should be able to be fixed by drivers.

They didn't take my laptop back for tests as I didn't want them too. They have sent me the replacement part.

I tried with the Lenovo driver and the Microsoft driver (and some other driver versions as well). While the performance of the card was somewhat different between versions, none of the versions was stable and performing as it should.

superusertaken
Paper Tape
Views: 1,154
Message 8 of 22

I just have a brandnew Thinkpad E595 and yes, sadly I have the same issue.

Updated to the lastest driver and still the wifi keep dropping connection.

I think the realtek 8822BE has hardware problem, at night I can hear kind of the static electric noise

from the wifi card...

cjlim
Paper Tape
Views: 1,097
Message 9 of 22

i saw the official website has just updated the Realtek 8822BE driver released on 8/8, i have installed it. seems a bit more stable, it says it fixes some issues. 

even though the drop issues seems less and more stable, sometimes the ping time is long, but at least still retain some of the connection unlike previously. 

seems to have some improvements, and i'm still testing it out. 

yurtesen1
Punch Card
Views: 1,074
Message 10 of 22

I doubt any driver can fix the issues of realtek cards. It is just placebo effect when you upgrade a driver. I also have high ping etc. with the driver supplied with windows 10. It does not disconnect but it has significant latency. It is visible in terminal sessions. I will later upgrade that card to a qualcomm/atheros card.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors