Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
3DB
What's DOS?
Views: 229
Message 1 of 2

Rebirthing a ThinkPad E540

I bought an E540 for my wife many years ago. She didn't really get the hang of it so it was put into a cupboard and has collected dust for many years.

My kids are getting to the age where they can start to use a computer so I want to get it going again.

I have found the cable and powered it up, but the password is locked and my wife cannot remember it!

I have tried re-booting from the partition at start-up using F11, but it does not work.

This machine is running Windows 8 and was only used for a very brief period before it was abandoned. No one has ever re-installed anything or otherwise fiddled with the operating system.

As far as I can see, we have none of the original software or accessories that came with it, other than the power cord Smiley Sad

Any thoughts on how I might be able to get it going would be greatly appreciated.

SeniorGuru
Views: 143
Message 2 of 2

Re: Rebirthing a ThinkPad E540

Welcome to the forum.

Which password is this? Windows 8? Power-on password?

If it's the Power-on password then see ThinkPad Edge E540 Hardware Maintenance Manual.pdf p. 37.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors