Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LloydH
Paper Tape
Views: 1,373
Message 1 of 4

Recovery discs

I have created recovery discs for my new ThinkPad Edge, but I am reluctant to erase the Recovery Drive (QSmiley Happy on the machine until I know that the discs will definitely work. How do I check them out?

When I try to play them I see the folders and files but there is no autoplay and no way I can see to open the files.

Thansk

henk
Punch Card
Views: 1,329
Message 2 of 4

Re: Recovery discs

I think once you have created the recovery disks, regardless of the recovery disk being OK or not, the recovery drive becomes useless.

I had created  the recovery disks onto a USB hard drive. Yesterday I tried to use this for a factory install to a new SSD however wasn't able to boot the recovery disk. I erased the USB drive containing the recovery disks and tried to create new ones. This doesn't seem possible, I got a message that you can have only one copy of Windows.

So if you have already made your recovery disks they better should be OK. It doesn't seem possible to create another set of recovery disks.

(Finally I was able to successfully migrate my system to the new SSD by using a third party  imaging tool.)

xe77
Punch Card
Views: 1,166
Message 3 of 4

Open drive Q, using right-click> Open. In the folder options set it to show hidden files and protected system files. Open the folder "factoryrecovery". Check out service_done.ini.. Also .wim = .iso

[Lenovo Edge 13, Type 0197-26U w/ 4 GB RAM]
mgordon
What's DOS?
Views: 1,001
Message 4 of 4

Does the Thinkpad recovery software allow you to create the recovery file right to a USB drive, or did it require some tinkering?

The way they word it makes it seem like you can only write to a CD/DVD drive.

Thanks

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors