Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kev639
Paper Tape
Views: 2,857
Message 1 of 8

Replace HDD - reload Windows??????

I had a HDD failure on my ThinkPad E530.  I have a USB drive with the backup I created when I first got the laptop, but I have no idea how to get this re-installed on the laptop.

In an ideal world I would like to replace the small msata SSD drive with a larger unit (128GB) and run windows from that, and just put in a new standard 500GB drive to hold data.

But the backup that was created doesn't boot or do anything - it is large (40GB)  and on a 1TB USB drive. 

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,852
Message 2 of 8

Re: Replace HDD - reload Windows??????

Hi,

Did you create bootable media on the external drive when you made the backup?

How are you trying to boot it?  Try F12 at power on and select the external drive if you haven't already done so.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Kev639
Paper Tape
Views: 2,836
Message 3 of 8

I guess I didn't create bootable media.
I have done F12 at startup and selected the USB - but that doesn't work.

Can I create bootable media from a different PC?
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,828
Message 4 of 8

Bootable media from a similar machine might work.  I'm not sure how much - if any - of the boot stuff is unique.

Another option is calling support and ordering a recovery media set.  You didn't say if your backup is OTB recovery or a backup of the machine after you configured it.  Factory media should work in either case - IIRC.  Not absolutely sure that the boot disk is generic - and can restore from a factory image or a saved backup.  Others around here should be able to address that with more certainty.

What's your warranty situation?  I can't speak for Lenovo support but they may provide that media gratis, depending on your situation.  Otherwise there's a charge for it.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Kev639
Paper Tape
Views: 2,819
Message 5 of 8

The Laptop is beyond the 1year warranty, so I can try calling Lenovo, but I could just buy a new copy of windows as well. 

If anyone can tell me how to create a bootable CD / USB / ???? - from a different PC I would appreciate it.

Kevin

parmardilan
Token Ring
Views: 2,794
Message 6 of 8

It would be a lot easier to help you if you told us what OS you're running. If you're on Windows 7 or up it will be easy to fix just download your copy online (legally of course)and then once you're done installing whatever OS you just installed go to support.lenovo.com and download ThinkPad System Update (that will make driver install easy and painless as it will go through each driver for your computer and see what you are missing and download and install it for you) Just buy whatever drive(s) you want to use load em up and format them. Personally I would recommend just a single kick-ass powerful SSD with lots of storage. That is the better alternative to doing things halfway properly like an MSATA SSD+HDD, but you have to factor in costs and all of that. Once you have installed your OS of choice start restoring your backup. I am not sure if you just copied your whole C:/ Drive to your external drive or what program you used to back it up. If you copied files to your external drive to back it up then just drag them back. If you backed it up with Rescue and Recovery (you must have used Windows 7) you must first install Windows 7, install Rescue and Recovery, restore from Rescue and Recovery, (optional) upgrade to Windows 8. Best of luck keep us updated. Also please let us know what kind of drive you are getting and if you are pleased or not. If you have anymore questions you need answers just ask (in a thread obviously) 

ThinkPad Twist S230U-
OS-Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
CPU-Intel Core i7 3517U @ 1.90GHz Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
RAM-8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard-LENOVO 3347CTO (CPU Socket - U3E1)
Graphics-Wide viewing angle & High density FlexView Display 1366x768 (1366x768@60Hz) Intel HD Graphics 4000 (Lenovo)
Storage-298GB Seagate ST320LT007-9ZV142 (SATA) 22GB SanDisk SSD U100 24GB (SSD) 29GB SDHC Card (SCSI)
Audio-Realtek High Definition Audio
Kev639
Paper Tape
Views: 2,784
Message 7 of 8

I am running Windows 7 Professional.

How do I download a copy of Windows legally?

The msata SSD and a regular HDD are more affordable for me (about $150) versus a large SSD.

I was planning on getting a Plextor M5M-128GB Msata SSD and a WD blue 500GB hard drive.

Most of my data is backed up on an external USB - and I have all the original program discs so that shouldn't be any problem.

If you can tell me how to download windows 7 pro and make it a bootable device / CD / DVD / USB - I should be able to install the new drives and get everything working.  I know the basics for changing the boot order in teh BIOS, but are there any other changes I need to make since I will be using the mSata drive as primary for the OS.

Thanks

Kevin

Kev639
Paper Tape
Views: 2,764
Message 8 of 8

Ok - Everything is taken care of at this point - figured I would post a summary for anyone else dealing with a similiar issue.

I was able to download an ISO of windows 7 professional from a link in a article I found on pcworld.com.  I highly reccomend using a download manager - large file and it took forever and failed the first couple of times I tried it.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/248995/how_to_install_windows_7_without_the_disc.html

You will need the product key from your original purchase - it only matches up with the same version of windows, so make sure you download the ISO of what you had before - no upgrades

I then used the rufus program to put that .ISO file onto a Bootable USB - I had found another article on-line that detailed how to do that, its pretty simple - but you need at least a 4GB usb drive

http://bootableusb.net/install-windows-ubuntu-usb-drive-using-rufus/

I installed a Plextor M5M 128GB SSD into the msata port -  Insert USB drive w/ windows  -  booted the Laptop - access BIOS by pressing FN+F12 when the Lenovo splash screen pops up.  Reset your Boot Order to that the new SSD is higher on the list then everything but the DVD drive.  Save and Exit -

Reboot again if it doesn't do it on its own - use FN+F12 again an at the first menu choose your boot device - and select the USB stick.

Windows should now walk you thru a new installation - you will need the windows product key here - I had to call Microsoft to get mine activated as it did not work automatically, but the procedure was automated and went smooth.

Windows needed a bunch of drivers that weren't found for networking / wifi / and about a dozen other devices.  I was able to copy two folders from a co-worker with the same laptop - specifically SWTOOLS and System32 - all the drivers I needed were there.

Once I had windows working - I installed all the Windows updates I could - then powered down and installed a new WD Blue 500GB drive.  After booting up again I had to right click on computer - select manage - select disc management - and setup and format the drive - WD tech support walked me thru this.

Once both drives were visible I created new folders on the new E: drive for all the user folders like Documents / Music / Photos / Videos / Downloads - and reassigned those folders to that drive to keep as much space free on the SSD - found an article for that as well.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/how-move-windows-7-personal-folders-my-documents-another-dri...

Everything is working well - boot time is really really fast - just have to install all my programs and get my email and dropbox working -

There was a review I found on the Plextor drive that suggested a few settings to make the SSD last longer.  Turning off Defragmenting / Making sure the system was set to enable AHCI.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/plextor_m5m_ssd_benchmark_review_test,1.html

I haven't installed any Lenovo specific software at this point - I may look for the power management widget, but things are much simpler without all their differnent tools - we will see what I may need in the future

Hope this helps someone else -

Kevin

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors