Fort Smith, Arkansas, USA

9 Signins

82 Page Views

• Views: 82
  • Message 1 of 1

SATA drive in Edge 14 optical drive bay in caddy: BIOS doesn't see drive

2011-07-22, 2:31 AM

I have an Edge 14. Intel i3 M370 model.

I ordered a OBHC and installed a 160 Gb SATA drive, loaded with WIN 7.  In the main drive bay I have an Ubuntu OS setup.

Trying to set up a dual boot configuration.  But, when I boot the drive and enter the BIOS set up, the drive in the caddy doesn't show.  If I let it boot from the main drive, Ubuntu starts up.

If I put the Ubuntu drive in the caddy and nothing in the main bay, "NO OPERATING SYSTEM."

When I look at the computer in Ubuntu, the OS7 drive is there.  All three partitions (Lenovo, OS and startup).  I can mount them, etc.  When I use Disk Utility in Ubuntu, the drive shows up listed under the SATA controller and is located at position 2 of the SATA bus.  

I updated the BIOS and it is now 1.26.

Still no sign of the HDD in the caddy.  Very odd.  When I power up the computer, the LED in the caddy does light up.

When I run sudo update-grub in Ubuntu, the WIN 7 loader shows up in the list.  So a bootable OS is seen.  But if I select WIN 7 loader in the GRUB list at boot, I get a "no such drive" message, and am lead back the the GRUB list.

In the BIOS, the config menu, the startup list only includes HDD0.  

Is there some secret BIOS trick I need to play?  Correct me if I'm wrong, but there aren't any jumper settings, etc. on a SATA drive, right?  Nothing there to change.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

RDS

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete