Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rscow
Paper Tape
Views: 436
Message 1 of 1

SATA drive in Edge 14 optical drive bay in caddy: BIOS doesn't see drive

I have an Edge 14. Intel i3 M370 model.

I ordered a OBHC and installed a 160 Gb SATA drive, loaded with WIN 7.  In the main drive bay I have an Ubuntu OS setup.

Trying to set up a dual boot configuration.  But, when I boot the drive and enter the BIOS set up, the drive in the caddy doesn't show.  If I let it boot from the main drive, Ubuntu starts up.

If I put the Ubuntu drive in the caddy and nothing in the main bay, "NO OPERATING SYSTEM."

When I look at the computer in Ubuntu, the OS7 drive is there.  All three partitions (Lenovo, OS and startup).  I can mount them, etc.  When I use Disk Utility in Ubuntu, the drive shows up listed under the SATA controller and is located at position 2 of the SATA bus.  

I updated the BIOS and it is now 1.26.

Still no sign of the HDD in the caddy.  Very odd.  When I power up the computer, the LED in the caddy does light up.

When I run sudo update-grub in Ubuntu, the WIN 7 loader shows up in the list.  So a bootable OS is seen.  But if I select WIN 7 loader in the GRUB list at boot, I get a "no such drive" message, and am lead back the the GRUB list.

In the BIOS, the config menu, the startup list only includes HDD0.  

Is there some secret BIOS trick I need to play?  Correct me if I'm wrong, but there aren't any jumper settings, etc. on a SATA drive, right?  Nothing there to change.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

RDS

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors