Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Florianinside
Paper Tape
Views: 552
Message 1 of 2

Samsung SSD840 Pro with AES on Thinkpad Edge 11

Hi Forum,

i love my Thinkpad Edge 11 (Type 2545-A12) and i wan't to upgrade it with samsungs brand new SSD840 Pro.

There is one killer-arguement for de SSD840Pro: It has realtime-AES-Encryption :-)

Can i use the AES-Full-Volume-Encryption-feature on my thinkpad? I think the encryption is really hardware-located, so there will be need for communication between the Bios and the SSD - For example for Dealing with the Decyption-Keys an so on.

I guess it has nothing to do with WIn 7 bitlocker or software-encryption like that. I would really love if my complete Volume is encrypted. so if there is a chance for using the embedded AES-Feature, please let me know :-)

Thanks a lot and have a nice weekend,

yours Florian.

Florianinside
Paper Tape
Views: 488
Message 2 of 2

Re: Samsung SSD840 Pro with AES on Thinkpad Edge 11

Hi Forum,

i haven´t found a solution so far. Indeen, i haven´t found anyone within the web having a problem like this. But why not? I thought it´s a common problem: Can i connect a Full-Disk-Encryption-Storage-Device to my Mainboard?

+++

Full-Disk-Encryption is cool. It is hardware-bades and steals (hardly) no Performance. Because there is an extra controller for doing the math. In at least every case the Bios and the Disk have to exchange the key. And for doing this, there is need for such an option within the Mainboard-Bios.

+++

Does anyone has experience in this topic? Maybe on Thinkpads, maybe on other PC-based devices?

Thank you very much for reading,

yours Florian.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors