cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
knutolai
Paper Tape
Views: 2,618
Message 1 of 3

[Sound problem] - No sound from internal speakers, only from headphones/external speakers

Hi 

I bought a E470 Thinkpad with windows 10 ~2 months ago. The computer has been sitting idle for the last month (in sleep mode) and when I started it today I have an issue where the internal speakers wont output any sound. However connecting headphones or other external devices lets me outout audio (through said device).

I've looked through various topics online (non-lenoveo related). The most common issues people have are the following:

-Speakers are disabled / not selected as default device

*Pretty confedent this isn't my problem as everythin seems fine in the audio properties/settings

-The driver is broken and needs reinstallation / replacement

*I have reinstalled the driver "Conexant Smartaudio HD", same problem after restart

*I have replaced the driver with the "High Definition Audio Device", same problem after restart

-There's a sensor in the mini-jack socket whats faulty leading the computer to believe headphones are connected

*I don't know the correct way to go about diagnosing this, but several users on another forum fixed the issue (on different computers) by "poking around" with a toothpick in the audio jack. 

Other observations / useful info:

The computer does not appear to "know" that there is an issue with the audio. The internal speakers are not disabled, in able to adjust the volume bar. When I connect an external speaker / headphones a dialog box appears where I can chose between Headphones, Headset and Speaker. For the few weeks I've been using the computer I have not installed any audio related software or customized/modified drivers. 

I would really appreciate some help. I've been poking around with this without any progress for hours. I need audio output for my work.

gamul1
What's DOS?
Views: 1,524
Message 2 of 3

Re: [Sound problem] - No sound from internal speakers, only from headphones/external speakers

Did you ever figure this out? Sounds like I have the exact same thing. It weird, because the little green bar bounces up and down as if the sound is being made. All visual indiations are that sound is working. But nothing is coming out of the speakers. Plug in a headset or external speaker - no problem though. Plug in an HDMI cable and the sound comes out of the TV. But the laptop by itseld plays no sound. 

gamul1
What's DOS?
Views: 1,523
Message 3 of 3

Re: [Sound problem] - No sound from internal speakers, only from headphones/external speakers

Never mind. I figured it out. I'd feel like an idiot but I dont get why it was the way it was. In short - I had to turn the sound up using the sound keys on the keypad. Even though the sound icon in the sys tray was NOT muted and I could adjust the sound up and down, and even though plugging into an external speaker or head played sound - that did not matter because some how the key board sound was muted (no visial indication). Pressed the sound up button and - Wha La! sound.

I never knew these operated independantly. But maybe this will help someone else. 

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors