Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MiraTech
Paper Tape
Views: 5,883
Message 1 of 9

TPM+Bitlocker issue Edge E540

Hi all,

TPM cannot be found on my new E540 (20C6).

Neither by the TPM console nor by Bitlocker.

I looked around in the BIOS / UEFI but with no luck.

Upgrade to the latest BIOS is installed, also ALL other updates which would be shown to me by Lenovo Update AND Windows Update are installed.

Somewhere it was written that one would need to install Intel Small Business Advantage (which is also installed automatically by Lenovo Solutions for Small Business) but neither Intel Small Business Advantage nor Lenovo Solutions for Small Business will install. Errormessage is: 'This system does not support the installation of  Intel Small Business Advantage'.

Is there a (hidden) BIOS option or any other trick to enable the TPM module?

Additional Info:

Im running Windows 8.1 Pro.

Device Manager reports 2 problems:

- Intel Wireless Bluetooth 4.0 + HS-Adapter (digital signature of the driver cannot be checked)

- IWD Bus Enumerator (there are two of those, one working, the other cannot load drivers due to the object name being already existant)

Lenovo Solution Center is listing an 'Unknown device' which I cannot find in the device manager (also not when activating 'show also hidden elements').

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 5,855
Message 2 of 9

Re: TPM+Bitlocker issue Edge E540

Go into BIOS Setup -> Security -> Security Chip

What do you see?

MiraTech
Paper Tape
Views: 5,846
Message 3 of 9

There does not seem to be a Security -> Security Chip.

I also looked through this points, I don't see anything related to a security chip or TPM.

Link to picture

Moderator note; picture(s) converted to link(s) About Posting Pictures In The Forums

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 5,839
Message 4 of 9

It seems your system does not have TPM (Security Chip).  Not all E540 systems do.  I suggest you double-check what you ordered and confirm it with Lenovo sales support in your country.

MiraTech
Paper Tape
Views: 5,831
Message 5 of 9

Thanks for the fast answer.

I was chatting with a sales rep of lenovo a day ago and he said that there should be a TPM module installed. He guided me to a spec-pdf of all notebooks and the TPM was in there.

Where can I read what E540 systems do have TPM and which don't?

I ordereda Lenovo E540 20C6008FGE if this helps.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 5,820
Message 6 of 9

In ThinkPad E540 FRU list there are total 18 planars (motherboards) listed.  The bottom 9 don't have TPMs (that's what NTPM means).  So these models without TPM definitely exist, the part I don't know is what came (or should have came) with your system.  As my role is software and software support, I'm sorry that I can't help further.  All I can do is tell you what I know.

MiraTech
Paper Tape
Views: 5,814
Message 7 of 9

Thanks, someotherguy, for your role you do exceptional well. Cat Very Happy

I was just looking very quick on page 2:

The FRU list is wrong in at least one point:

OS/PD FRU CPU Haswell Dual Core i7-4702MQ

This is actually a Quad Core CPU

I reasoned that my laptop must use the PLANAR 04x4788 cause it was sold with Win 8 Standard (W8S) and has a dedicated 2 GB graphics card, but a GT 740 M. So this is the only possible entry. As this entry lacks the NTPM tag it should have a TPM, right? (Or the list is missing some entries or is wrong again.)

Can you ask a hardware guy to have a look please?

Or should I write a mail to some adress I just like to know what exactly is going on.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 5,810
Message 8 of 9

I'm sorry I don't have anyone to refer you to.  Is the system still under warranty?  If so I would handle it as a warranty case by claiming that the TPM is not working and not showing up where it should in BIOS Setup.  And it may really be a case where the TPM died and not the case where the wrong part/planar was used.

MiraTech
Paper Tape
Views: 5,800
Message 9 of 9

I just looked into this PDF from Lenovo, page 34.

According to this document and my Notebook type-model, not only my model, NONE of the E540 should have a TPM.

It would make sense to be able search for this feature on the Lenovo homepage, since it's requested often.

Thanks for your hard work and dedication, someotherguy.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors