Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
slartibartfast
Serial Port
Views: 933
Message 181 of 199

Re: ThinkPad E485/E585 - Firmware bug ACPI IVRS table

>Am I stuck or is there a way to get Wi-Fi to work?  Is there a way to get Bluetooth working??

Wifi should always work with a compatible card. Which card did yours ship with? You can replace the card with Intel 9260. Bluetooth will not work reliably until there is a BIOS fix.

MRiService
Paper Tape
Views: 885
Message 182 of 199

My Thinkpad T42 used a ipw2200/2200BG

My S415 Idea pad uses an Atheros.

And the Thinkpad E585 uses a ?????????.  It does not report back much when I enter lspci other than something does exist.  I can only assume that it is some type of Realtek since I have a Realtek eithernet card.

I am guessing that Lenovo thought it was a good idea to save a few cents on a card with poor standards that will not work.   The rest of the components probably have the same problem and hence the bios issues.

MRiService
Paper Tape
Views: 883
Message 183 of 199

Does anybody have a suggestion for a 15.6 inch laptop that works properly?  Any Ryzen or do they have to be intell?

Thanks

MRiService
Paper Tape
Views: 872
Message 184 of 199

Diego Estuardo U.:
Hello, how are you ?
thanks for contacting Lenovo Sales.
Me:
Are your laptops linux compatible
Diego Estuardo U.:
on which modelDiego
Estuardo U.:
?
Me:
?
Diego Estuardo U.:
thinkpads are compatibles
Me:
All thinkpads?
Diego Estuardo U.:
yes.
Me: cool
Diego Estuardo U.: (:
Diego Estuardo U.:
anything else that I cna help ?
Diego Estuardo U.: can**
Me:
are you positive?
Diego Estuardo U.:
yes.
Diego Estuardo U.:
x1 carbon, and p52 the most powerful
Me:
Ryzen Thinkpads too
Diego Estuardo U.:
those are the most popular for linux
Me: .
Diego Estuardo U.: ?Diego Estuardo U.: Hello, how are you ?
thanks for contacting Lenovo Sales.Me: Are your laptops linux compatibleDiego Estuardo U.: on which modelDiego Estuardo U.: ?Me: ?Diego Estuardo U.: thinkpads are compatiblesMe: All thinkpads?Diego Estuardo U.: yes.Me: coolDiego Estuardo U.: (Smiley Very Happyiego Estuardo U.: anything else that I cna help ?Diego Estuardo U.: can**Me: are you positive?Diego Estuardo U.: yes.Diego Estuardo U.: x1 carbon, and p52 the most powerfulMe: Ryzen Thinkpads tooDiego Estuardo U.: those are the most popular for linuxMe: .Diego Estuardo U.: ?Me: what about the ThinkPad E585Diego Estuardo U.: checkingDiego Estuardo U.: yes, it will workMe: with what bios and kernel?Diego Estuardo U.: we only work with microsoft, to get more information and details you can reach tech support.Diego Estuardo U.: the machine is compatible, but you need to install itDiego Estuardo U.: US Technical Support for ThinkPad products can be reached at (800) 426-7378
Me:
what about the ThinkPad E585
Diego Estuardo U.:
checkingDiego Estuardo U.:
yes, it will work
Me: with what bios and kernel?
Diego Estuardo U.:
we only work with microsoft, to get more information and details you can reach tech support.
Diego Estuardo U.:
the machine is compatible, but you need to install it
Diego Estuardo U.:
US Technical Support for ThinkPad products can be reached at (800) 426-7378

slartibartfast
Serial Port
Views: 863
Message 185 of 199

>Does anybody have a suggestion for a 15.6 inch laptop that works properly?  Any Ryzen or do they have to be intell?

Ryzen laptops have problems across different OEMs. So a safe bet at the moment is Intel. Within lenovo, E580, T580, P52 will all work fine with linux. The newer *90 ones should also work, but since they are new, there haven't been too many reports one way or the other.

Wingqlip
SCSI Port
Views: 840
Message 186 of 199

It's about as caring as the "Your holding the phone wrong" line from apple's antenna problem. 

People buy a laptop expecting it to work like a laptop. People buy a thinkpad expecting it to be fully functional as a workhorse, with advertised specs.

People do not buy a thinkpad to get a laptop that does not suit their need; and here the need is to run linux. Don't just put all the hardware there and leave the software completely unusable. It's abuse of returns and warranty law because its only software related. 

dcbbleo
Punch Card
Views: 684
Message 187 of 199

I got a reply from AMD tech support where the agent says they verified internally that it is the laptop manufacturer's prerogative to restrict OS support on mobile Ryzen.

Sigh. I hope I can somehow get NetBSD to work. OpenBSD boots successfully so things might improve in the future.

MRiService
Paper Tape
Views: 570
Message 188 of 199

As long as sales does not feel there is a problem they probably will not do much.  They probably feel that they can "save face" by not admitting that there is a problem.  Too Bad.

Lets hope the new OS works better.

MRiService
Paper Tape
Views: 566
Message 189 of 199

I resized my windows partion with gparted and then flashed it to a SD card for a backup.

I wanted to put it back to original size but gparted generates an error.  I also wanted to put back the mbr to original.

What is the best way to resize and restore mbr back to original?  Also note that my system does not see my SD card making it hard to simply copy everything to the NVe drive.

RoadRunner440
Paper Tape
Views: 506
Message 190 of 199

Cancelled yes - stopped...   Heck no.   Lenovo for some unknown and BS ridden excuse unable to stop the process (even before shipping label was created and an agent contacted me about a laptop carry casee BEFORE it shipped).  A confirmed cancellation may not mean confirmed cancellation.    Maybe they hoped I would keep a crippled product - I do not know.   I have to admit the customer service rep was good who had to deal with me.

My lessons Learned

1) Lenovo either purposely cripples the BIOS or does not have thorough and quality Engineers designing in their employment.

2) cancelling is a crap shoot - which costs them for the unopened returns.

3) If they cared about making hardware functional this would have already been resolved.

I wish everyone one here luck with resolving this issue.  I should have known to look for Posts first, but who would have ever though the BIOS could handicap the ability to use the Machine with Linux...   I have learned something.

Lenovo, you have an E485 laptop, unopened shipping package; returning (March 28, 2019).  Many of us do not want your software support - only functional hardware.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors