Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Zobie
Paper Tape
Views: 1,041
Message 1 of 10

ThinkPad E485 Upgrade: Fingerprint reader & backlit keyboard

Hello,

I am thinking about buying a Thinkpad E485.

Sadly there is no option to buy it with a backlit keyboard or a fingerprint reader.

But since these two options are available for the E480 models I thought about adding a backlit keyboard and a palmrest with fingerprint reader (from an E480) to the E485 later.

Does anyone know if that was possible?

I am especially worried about the compatiblity of the fingerprint reader.

Thanks in advance.

(And sorry if my english is not that good. It is not my native language)

Kacperas
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,022
Message 2 of 10

Re: ThinkPad E485 Upgrade: Fingerprint reader & backlit keyboard

According to PSREF, E485 doesn't support a fingerprint reader.

Keyboard is repleacable. Whole process is described in Hardware Maintenance Manual. If you want to get the layout used in Germany, look for one of keyboards listed below. There are several vendors and two colors. You may try to look for LiteON's (LTN) keyboard, as they were rather good in previous generations.

BLACK KEYBOARD:

- FRU: 01YP372, FRU COMO FL,LTN,KB-BL,BK,DE

- FRU: 01YP292, FRU COMO FL,CHY,KB-BL,BK,DE

- FRU: 01YP452, FRU COMO FL,PMX,KB-BL,BK,DE

- FRU: 01YP532, FRU COMO FL,SRX,KB-BL,BK,DE

SILVER KEYBOARD:

- FRU: 01YN432, FRU COMO FL,LTN,KB-BL,SV,DE

- FRU: 01YN352, FRU COMO FL.CHY,KB-BL,SV,DE

------
Zobie
Paper Tape
Views: 1,016
Message 3 of 10

Thank you very much for your precise answer!

It helps me quite a lot.

Dragokriv
Paper Tape
Views: 490
Message 4 of 10

Hi @Kacperas, can you confirm again that E480 back-lit keyboard will work on E485 device? I fear that back-lit may need some BIOS functionality, mainly because of Fn-Spacebar switch for the backlit itself. If it is OK, can you advice on some high quality US backlit FRU, and where to buy it. Thanks a ton! It is shame that Lenovo didn't include the backlit option from the get go.

Kacperas
Bit Torrent
Views: 482
Message 5 of 10

@Dragokriv wrote:

Hi @Kacperas, can you confirm again that E480 back-lit keyboard will work on E485 device?

Please check this using this link. You'll find there all compatible parts with E485. Also, using this link, you can search for E480 parts and compare keyboards.

@Dragokriv wrote:

I fear that back-lit may need some BIOS functionality, mainly because of Fn-Spacebar switch for the backlit itself.

Please check this PSREF domument. In keyboard section is explictly stayed that optional LED backlight is available for this model. As stayed in latest PSREF revision, E485 doesn't support backlit keyboards (they'll work when connected, but backlit won't).

@Dragokriv wrote:

If it is OK, can you advice on some high quality US backlit FRU, and where to buy it. Thanks a ton! It is shame that Lenovo didn't include the backlit option from the get go.

As I stayed in my previous post, LiteON keyboards were quite good in the past. As I don't own E485, so I can't say if this is still true. I only know where to look in Europe. Can't say about US.

------
Dragokriv
Paper Tape
Views: 475
Message 6 of 10

Thanks for the quick response @Kacperas. I am looking at the PSREF document currently, and I fail to see anything about backlight in the keyboard sectrion. The word "backlight" is stated twice, only in the "Display" section. In the "Keyboard" section it says only "6-row, spill-resistant, multimedia Fn keys".
I also found this: https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/93rwx1/lenovo_e485_review/e3tq0x3/

Kacperas
Bit Torrent
Views: 463
Message 7 of 10

I guess, I should've postponed responding to your question, till I get an access to my laptop... Yes, you're right, these words are missing in PDF, which I've provided. When I've been writing my previous post on mobile, I've referenced to this PSREF. However, it's kinda annoying to copy some links on mobile, so I've found other link, which could be copied easily - this one. The thing is, that PSREF which I've referenced was from June 2018 and the link, which I've provided was to latest PSREF revision - July 2018 (please check this page and go to Specifications tab). So, Lenovo has planned to implement this feature in E485, but it seems it was removed before release.

So, I'm sorry for providing not up to date information. To sumarize - E485 doesn't support backlit keyboard feature.

------
Dragokriv
Paper Tape
Views: 448
Message 8 of 10

I am disapointed in Lenovo. Being a loyal customer with 3 Thinkpads and numerios recomendations to other people, I find this move to artifically handicap AMD laptops extremely dirty. I hope this is not due to "deal" with Intel ( as being uncovered some 10 years ago ), so later they can say "Hey look, people don't want AMD laptops.". AMD don't deserve this, and customers don't deserve this. I will try another brand!

vufr56
What's DOS?
Views: 95
Message 9 of 10

I agree, total crap that Lenovi won't let us pay them for aback-lit keyboard in 2018.  Straight BS

Highlighted
vufr56
What's DOS?
Views: 75
Message 10 of 10

Very confused why you refuse to build an AMD E485 or E585 with a back-lit keyboard when you offer the seemingly identical Intel variants with it.  Pretty annoying that you build anything with this as optional as most junk $350 laptops include keyboard back-light.  Please tell me how I can get an E485 or E585 with this feature, I'm hoping your website is just reconfigured, but I fear Intel paid you off to handicap the Ryzen chipset.  **bleep** shame either way.  

Top Kudoed Authors