Options

4 Posts

12-28-2019

AU

5 Signins

60 Page Views

• Views: 60
  • Message 1 of 6

ThinkPad E490 "Fan Error" immediately after BIOS upgrade. Now unable to boot/start/use the machine.

2019-12-28, 6:59 AM

Yesterday I followed the Lenovo Vantage recommendations and updated my (only a few months old) ThinkPad E490.

The BIOS update procedure displayed "successfully completed" (or something similar), but immediately after the BIOS/Controller update the laptop rebooted and reported a "Fan Error" followed by an automatic shut down. Now I am unable to boot/use the machine, and entering the start up boot options using the "Enter" key doesn't work either. 

I now get "Fan Error" on the display, followed by 2 short beeps and an automatic shut down happens each time after I try to power on the E490.

This error never happend before, so I am almost certain that the BIOS update caused this problem, since it happend seconds after the update finished. This laptop was never used in a dusty environment, so the usual "blow air" tricks to get the fan going are unlikely to work. Suspecting a firmware/software bug in the latest version.

I contacted support, however since we're in the Xmas and New Year break (where most here people take extended leave), I am hoping anyone might have some advice. Will report back once we have a solution, so that others can benefit as well. In the meantime, E490 users be careful with BIOS updates!

Lenovo Device: ThinkPadE490, Machine Type: 20N8

Solved! See the solution
Options

459 Posts

05-02-2019

US

322 Signins

7862 Page Views

• Views: 7862
  • Message 2 of 6

Re: ThinkPad E490 "Fan Error" immediately after BIOS upgrade. Now unable to boot/start/use

2019-12-28, 13:12 PM

Hi !

Welcome to Lenovo Community Forums.

Have you tried to access the BIOS settings before? If you're not able to open BIOS, try to downgrade it from the previous version and observe if your ThinkPad E490 will boot up to the operating system.

You may follow these steps but first download the older version of BIOS directly from our support webiste:

• Go to the BIOS Setup menu (Read at Methods to enter BIOS)
  • Click on Security
  • Click on UEFI BIOS Update Option
  • Click on Secure Rollback Prevention
  • Click on Disable

Regards,

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

Options

4 Posts

12-28-2019

AU

5 Signins

60 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

Re: ThinkPad E490 "Fan Error" immediately after BIOS upgrade. Now unable to boot/start/use

2019-12-29, 9:22 AM

Hi @Van_Lenovo,

Thanks for your suggestion, which I have tried before (and just now again) a few times.
Unfortunately the machine doesn't even get that far, as neither Enter nor F1 will open the BIOS. :smileyfrustrated:

The on-screen message (after hitting Enter) indicates that the PC is trying to enter the BIOS, but before anything else BIOS-related shows, the "Fan Error" comes up again on the screen (and it is followed by the automatic shutdown).

So that didn't work. Any other advice?

Kind regards

Options

4 Posts

12-28-2019

AU

5 Signins

60 Page Views

• Message 4 of 6

2019-12-30, 0:57 AM

Quick status update:

• Spoke to support today and a new part (fan) will be sent out to the technician in our area for onsite replacement.
  • Whilst it's unlikely that the fan is defective (but it's possible), the fan will be replaced.
  • Likely that the motherboard will need to be replaced too (we'll know more once the new fan is build in).

In the meantime, I can only suggest to be careful with BIOS updates, as it seems to have "bricked" my machine.

Options

4 Posts

12-28-2019

AU

5 Signins

60 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

(Problem Solved!) Re: ThinkPad E490 "Fan Error" immediately after BIOS upgrade.

2020-01-01, 4:56 AM

Status update and the problem is now solved thanks to a brand new fan/thermal assembly. It was indeed the fan that caused the trouble! 

Because the timing of the failure was a strange and weird coincidence (it failed right after the BIOS update), the fix was quick and easy for the technician.

Big thanks to Lenovo for:

• quickly shipping the part and
  • sending out a great technician who quickly solved the problem. 

:smileyvery-happy:

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

459 Posts

05-02-2019

US

322 Signins

7862 Page Views

• Views: 7862
  • Message 6 of 6

Re: (Problem Solved!) Re: ThinkPad E490 "Fan Error" immediately after BIOS upgrade.

2020-01-01, 18:39 PM

Glad to hear that the issue was fixed already. Thank you as well for sharing your experience.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save