Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stevej814
Paper Tape
Views: 221
Message 1 of 1

ThinkPad Edge - Display Not Working

Hi, my supervisor attempted to hook his ThinkPad Edge laptop up to an external monitor via a VGA cable to utilize dual screens. I helped him extend the monitor space instead of simply mirroring the laptop monitor. Moments later, he disconnected the VGA cable from the laptop for some reason and was unable to get the external monitor recognized again. By the time I got back to the laptop, he noted that he had attempted to press various Fn button shortcuts, and now there is no display whatsoever except for the mouse icon.

When loading, the Lenovo logo appears and the Windows startup sound plays afterwards, but there is no display. Only a black screen, and yet the mouse is visible and moving as it should. I attempted to connect the external monitor, but it does not seem to be recognizing this either. I booted the laptop in Safe Mode and it appeared fine, so I went into the Control Panel and confirmed that only the laptop monitor was recognized. Upon restarting, we were met with the same black screen.

It should be noted that when moving the mouse around on the black screen display, the mouse hits the left edge of the laptop screen and recognizes it as a boundary, but will continue to go past the right edge of the monitor. This leads me to believe that it is still associating another display as the default, but I cannot seem to figure out how to reset the display so that the laptop monitor itself is the one and only source. I've also done multiple restarts and pulled the battery for a reset.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors