cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bluesummers
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,103
Message 1 of 4

ThinkPad Edge E420S - During "Rescue and Recovery" can't change disc, EJECT button is not working

Hello Everybody!

This is my first post, and I am very-very sad that I must use Lenovo forums, however I had approximately 20 ThinkPads / IdeaPads in my life ... but never any model with a SLOT LOADING DVD drive (this will be the key problem). I thought this is one of the best technology ever, just pushing into, and do not have to worry that the tray may be broken.

My actual Lenovo ThinkPad notebook is: Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E420s 4401-7PG (bought at 15.06.2013)

Well, after buying I quickly made a full Recovery.

1xboot - CD is enough here (approx. 350MB)

3xdata - DVD.

For some reason the Factory defaults on HDD was not working properly, because I always had to use a Windows disc for repairing boot partitions automatically. I don't know why unfortunately, but MBR / active / boot / etc... was not proper for some reason.

So I had the second option to do full factory recovery by using the discs I have made previously.

After powering up the machine, I have pressed F11. I have chosed to restore from CD/DVD to reset to Factory default. For the first disc it was okay, it did until 1/3 of the whole process, and than ...

I was not able to change disc, because EJECT button is not working!!! Smiley Sad

I have even tried to push emergency hole button on the bottom ... no results. Nothing. The disc just did not wanted to come out for replacing it to DISC2.

I was staring at this beautiful picture:

Because I was during the process, now I do not have a working system. Of course F11 (hidden partition of Recovery Media) does not exist any more.

Now in this situation I guess I should buy an external DVD-ROM which has a normal eject button?

I have read this forum also, but this is not firmware, that would not help to my problem: http://support.lenovo.com/pl_PL/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS013809

If Lenovo would have had an option to save all data to pendrive and make them bootable (via YUMI software), it could be much easier.

Why everybody sticks to DVDs?

Please help me somehow!! Should I have to ask for service?

If somebody could provide me with some firmware, that during Recovery screen I may use eject button, I would be soooo grateful!!!!!

Thank you very much in advance!

lsmith317
What's DOS?
Views: 970
Message 2 of 4

Re: ThinkPad Edge E420S - During "Rescue and Recovery" can't change disc, EJECT button is

I am having this exact problem.  Can we get a response here?  

sbehnke
What's DOS?
Views: 932
Message 3 of 4

Re: ThinkPad Edge E420S - During "Rescue and Recovery" can't change disc, EJECT button is

The bios has the ability to recognize the button.  Windows doesn't unless you install ODD Drive Eject Utility, which is included on the Recovery Disc.  

You need to use an external drive, since the boot environement cant see the eject command.

lsmith317
What's DOS?
Views: 917
Message 4 of 4

Completely stupid to have to go to such lengths, especially if you do not have an external reader/burner.  

I solved the problem by not using the recovery media.  Ditched the bloatware and sorted my problem just fine.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors