cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Peabodskrim
Punch Card
Views: 814
Message 1 of 3

ThinkPad Edge E535 Repeated crashes leading to black screen, perhaps graphics problem?

Repeated crashes leading to black screen, perhaps graphics problem?

In the past three days I have had three fairly similar crashes – pattern as follows:

I leave the screen with eg Windows Live Mail and Internet Explorer 11 open but usually  minimised to the taskbar, for about 20-30 minutes.  The first and third time ‘Standby’ was set to ‘Never’, the second time I’d left it with lid closed manually to Standby.

Each time, on return it seems OK, but as I revisit those windows the cursor starts behaving erratically, while the busy wheel turns constantly, and the programs stop responding.   Today the minimised IE refused to re-open at first, as did Windows Explorer. Once  I managed to get Task Manager up from the Taskbar very slowly, but its window was blank.   

Ctrl-alt-delete doesn’t work. The Start button either freezes altogether or responds very slowly, and ‘Shut down’ just hangs on a black screen partly backlit.

The first time there was a message: “Failure to display security and shut-down options”, followed eventually by an entirely black screen, but power light remained on. 

The second time the black screen appeared suddenly before I could try to shut down.

The third time after a while the busy wheel stopped and I tried to open Event Viewer but it didn’t open, Internet Explorer gradually opened and then froze.  Start-shutdown led to a backlit black screen with a fragment of the language bar in top R hand corner, and busy wheel for a bit.   

In the end on each of these three times I had to power off with the Power button.

Then, after disconnecting, later reboot gave the Windows Error Recovery, which ran CHKDSK during normal start up, but reported nothing.  Searching the System Event Viewer I found a kind of pattern:  On the first and third occasions when or just before I left the laptop, or just after I returned to it before it crashed, there was a Warning 129 amd sata: "Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued",  and on the first and second occasions also an error Event 13 ACPI :"The embedded controller (EC) did not respond within the specified timeout period", along with timeout errors eg 10010, 7009, 7011 etc  Event 13s tend to occur fairly frequently anyway.

After the first event I updated the AMD SATA Controller from vsn 1.12.1.331 to 1.2.1.349, and after the second event I re-updated the existing AMD Radeon HD 7420G Graphics Driver vsn 8.947.2.0 (though in Device Manager the date has remained at 17/05/12, not 17 Feb 14  as on the download page).   I also applied MS graphics adaptor FixIt 50848.  I reset all the Idle Timers in PM Manager 6.64.2 to ‘Never’ in case they were affecting the problem.

I have AMD USB 3.0 Host Controller vsn 1.1.0.153 and AMD SMBUS vsn 5.12.0.15

In the past week I was up to date with this month’s  Windows Updates and Lenovo SU  

But today there has been the third crash described above.

My laptop is:

ThinkPad Edge E535    

Serial Number: xxxxxxx

Model Number: 3260EBG 

Registered 03.02.2013

Windows 7 Professional 2009 SP1

Processor: AMD A4-4300M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics    2.50  GHz

RAM:   4GB (3.42GB usable)

64-bit Operating System

BIOS 2.51 HHET91WW

No Pen or touch Input

Moderator Note; s/n edited for member's own protection

Peabodskrim
Punch Card
Views: 770
Message 2 of 3

Re: ThinkPad Edge E535 Repeated crashes leading to black screen, perhaps graphics problem?

UPDATE: new PM Driver update (6.64.4, released only yesterday )on SU this morning seems perhaps to have fixed the problem ... we'll see...

Peabodskrim
Punch Card
Views: 738
Message 3 of 3

Re: ThinkPad Edge E535 Repeated crashes leading to black screen, No solution yet

No, unfortunately 5 days later (ie yesterday) the problem recurred.  Since then I've done a Hardware Scan in Lenovo Solutions Centre , which passed all the tests.

I then did a chkdsk on volume C:

chkdsk replaced 4 "bad  clusters" during Stage 4 (verifying data files).
The affected filenames were:
\windows\INSTAL~1\367c9.msi
\windows\winsxs\wo1084~1.167\jscript.d11
\SYSTEM~1\{B28F0~1
\SYSTEM~1\{E4D53~1

does that suggest any likely cause?

Haven't used the laptop much yet today, will see if the problem occurs again.  Have to go awayon Monday for  most of next week so may not be able to do any more about it till I get back.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors