cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
danz207
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,872
Message 1 of 2

ThinkPad Edge E540 - Replace wireless card and add M.2 NGFF mSATA?

Hello,

I just ordered an E540 and it comes with an Intel 7260-N (not AC) mPCIE and it also has an unpopulated M.2 (NGFF) slot presumably for an mSATA cache option.

My question is this, can I replace the wireless card with the 802.11AC equivalent? Reading online that replacing the wireless card can cause boot error, but I'm almost certain that I've seen this card (7260-AC) available as configuration option so...?

I'd also like to add an mSATA drive to store my OS on and use a 1TB HDD for media (instead of using SSD then using ODD caddy for 1TB HDD, thus losing optical drive).

I know that I can add an mSATA card, but where can I buy one? NGFF is fairly new so no one is selling it, and the ones that are have low capacities for high prices.

Thanks, Danz207

RamCity
Paper Tape
Views: 3,567
Message 2 of 2

Re: ThinkPad Edge E540 - Replace wireless card and add M.2 NGFF mSATA?

@danz207 wrote:

I'd also like to add an mSATA drive to store my OS on and use a 1TB HDD for media (instead of using SSD then using ODD caddy for 1TB HDD, thus losing optical drive).

I know that I can add an mSATA card, but where can I buy one? NGFF is fairly new so no one is selling it, and the ones that are have low capacities for high prices.

Note that mSATA and NGFF (now referred to as M.2) are not the same thing.  M.2 cards have a different connector and can be wired for SATA, PCIe or both.  Your laptop has the M.2 SSD slot wired for SATA, so you'll need to look at M.2 SATA SSD's, not PCIe ones. 

Whether or not your machine can boot from the M.2 SSD slot will probably be a case of trial and error given that Lenovo only recommend using the M.2 slot for caching.

As for available M.2 SSD products, the appropriate one depends on the available space you have.  I couldn't see which length M.2 SSD's could be used in the hardware owners manual for the E540.  However, generally the shortest is going to be 42mm, also known as 2242.  Currently the only product in that length is the MyDigitalSSD 128GB M.2 SATA SSD.  If the slot is longer, up to 80mm, then that opens up the Crucial M500/M550 M.2 SATA (2280) SSD's as an option, which are available in 120/128/240/256/480/512GB capacities.  

The Crucial M500 M.2's are available all over the place.  We are still waiting on Crucial getting the M550 M.2 into regular production.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors