cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nemo333
What's DOS?
Views: 779
Message 1 of 1

ThinkPad Edge E540 failure 1802: Unauthorized network card without changing the network card!?

Hi, everybody.

As I can find no help with this particular issure anywhere online I'll try posting here.

I got the following 1802 failure message twice today on my ThinkPad (Edge E540) without having done anything to it (I know a lot of people get the message when they try to change the network card):

1802: Unauthorized network car dis plugged in - Power off and remove the network card (8086/08B1/0006/0000).

(I'm not quite sure about the last numbers - I had to make a shoddy screenshot with a cell phone)

I got the failure message twice (turning the laptop off and on again) and then the laptop started without problems. I checked with both Win 8 diagnostics and the Lenovo Solution Center but the status is: laptop's running just fine. All software is up to date (otherwise I might have been looking for a solution there) and, therefore, I'm clueless.

My questions are:

1) What can cause this particular problem?

2) How can  I prevent it from happening? Is there a solution (an easy-to-follow one for the laywoman)?

3) Am I supposed to panic right now? Is the unprovoked appearance of this problem a sign that I should backup the whole machine asap and start looking for a new one (which would leave me pissed as my ThinkPad has been in use for meager 9 months)?

I'm grateful for any help, piece of advice or insight that you can give me.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors