cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nemo333
What's DOS?
Views: 705
Message 1 of 1

ThinkPad Edge E540 failure 1802: Unauthorized network card without changing the network card!?

Hi, everybody.

As I can find no help with this particular issure anywhere online I'll try posting here.

I got the following 1802 failure message twice today on my ThinkPad (Edge E540) without having done anything to it (I know a lot of people get the message when they try to change the network card):

1802: Unauthorized network car dis plugged in - Power off and remove the network card (8086/08B1/0006/0000).

(I'm not quite sure about the last numbers - I had to make a shoddy screenshot with a cell phone)

I got the failure message twice (turning the laptop off and on again) and then the laptop started without problems. I checked with both Win 8 diagnostics and the Lenovo Solution Center but the status is: laptop's running just fine. All software is up to date (otherwise I might have been looking for a solution there) and, therefore, I'm clueless.

My questions are:

1) What can cause this particular problem?

2) How can  I prevent it from happening? Is there a solution (an easy-to-follow one for the laywoman)?

3) Am I supposed to panic right now? Is the unprovoked appearance of this problem a sign that I should backup the whole machine asap and start looking for a new one (which would leave me pissed as my ThinkPad has been in use for meager 9 months)?

I'm grateful for any help, piece of advice or insight that you can give me.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors