Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Scented
Paper Tape
Views: 1,298
Message 1 of 6

ThinkPad Edge E545 - Weak Wireless Connection

Hello,

I've recently bought the Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E545 (about a week old) and everything is fine, except the problem is that the wireless download speed & connection is terrible slow. I've done speedtests and resulted in a 1mbps--or barely-- download speed.

I updated the drivers, the network adapter, etc. and I have successfully updated the important Windows updates. It's currently Windows 7 and the current network adapter is 1x1 11b/g/n Wireless LAN PCI Express Half Mini Card Adapter.

There is no problem with the router and no internet speed upgrade is required. I tested connections and done speedtests with other computers and devices on the same connection and their speed is significantly greater than the ThinkPad's. I assure you nothing is wrong with the router or connection area and I have some confidence that it is a hardware problem with the Wireless card.

Is there any solution to this problem that does not require me to install another network adapter? I looked around and used Google and tried different methods but they don't seem to work. Thank you in advance.

RannPNut
What's DOS?
Views: 1,139
Message 2 of 6

Re: ThinkPad Edge E545 - Weak Wireless Connection

I set up an account just to reply to you!...and also I just bought a Lenovo Thinkpad Edge E545, and I want everyone to know what they're doing.  Plus, I'm having the same problem.  I just downloaded the Broadcom Wireless LAN (Driver here! Remember to choose for either Windows XP, 8, 8.1, or whatever you have!) and I've seen past comments that this has worked for them.  I'm about to go try it out, so wish me luck!  I hope you haven't returned that laptop you bought!  Lenovo is usually such a good brand, from what I hear, and I personally already enjoy the exterior, as I put structure, stability, and damage-resistant against style, which the Edge E545 seems to be more for the accident prone or careful type, but still cool!  Good luck!

mickeyc606
What's DOS?
Views: 749
Message 3 of 6

Re: ThinkPad Edge 15 - Weak Wireless Connection

Have brand new (58 days old) unit. Horribly slow, intermittent Internet connection drops - 2, 3, 5 bars, then "you are not connected to the Internet" messages. Cannot download updates, cannot play simple videos, stops and hang ups. 2 days on phone w/tech support who finally said there is a "design flaw" in the Edge 15 ??? Sent back, returned in same condition. More telephone conversations - 3 hrs. Latest is "someone from customer relations will call you in 3 days. If not, call us back."  For someone who doesn't understand patches and fixes, this is maddening! Anyone else? Or do I just have a lemon?  I do not want this unit. They say they are no longer selling it??? Day 2 has now come and gone. No such problems w/Dell or HP for those of us not IT savvy.

Guru
Views: 740
Message 4 of 6

Which wireless card did you get?

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U
pcguy2u
Paper Tape
Views: 592
Message 5 of 6

Assuming you folks all have an RTL8188E network adapter, try the workaround defined in two different posts I made in the thread:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/11e-Windows-E-and-Edge-series/Lenovo-e545-thinkpad-edge-absurdly-slow-w...

pnasman
Paper Tape
Views: 395
Message 6 of 6

Re: ThinkPad Edge Weak Wireless Connection - This Worked for Me

See my post on uninstalling AMD Quick Stream. Might work for you.

Page  3 of this thread:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-11e-Windows-E-and-Edge/Lenovo-e545-thinkpad-edge-absurdly-slow...

Top Kudoed Authors